The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
PNW_Square

Correct Crossmember?

I 've torn my truck down to start a rebuild and it doesn't look like the transmission crossmember is correct for the frame. The truck is an '80 - 1/2 ton - 2wd.

The crossmember is only bolted to the bottom flanges of the frame rails, although there are also four holes in the upright portion of the crossmember for bolts. The frame rail only has two holes in the side for bolting the crossmember, but they line up with the crossmember's upper row of holes.

In addition it appears that the crossmember is too wide for the frame as there is a 3/8" gap between the frame and the upright portion of the crossmember. The frame measures 34" wide at the crossmember. Any ideas? Here's a couple of photos.
Attached Images

PNW_Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Correct Crossmember?

Looks fine to me
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

You are missing the loop that goes underneath the right side. As far as the width, the frames tweak a little when supports are moved, bolt up the crossmember and snug it down, it will fit just fine.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Maybe it's time for a trailing arm conv kit was thinking of this when I rebuild mine
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...iling_Arms.htm
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
PNW_Square

Thanks for the responses. Now that somebody mentions it, the missing brace on the right side is obvious. Is that brace the same for all '73-87's or are there only certain years that will fit?
PNW_Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
chevybuilder18

i have the same cross member. i have had an issue with headers for a camaro in my truck clearing this, so i went over it, and the length of the header force me to conjure up a pipe that went at a solid 70 degrees up right at the member, and then down with a 45 and a 1/4 bend to pull a straight flush exhaust. it was pretty wild, truck enjoyed this a lil side pipe adventure. i wish they made dual exhaust cross members with the dual humps for clearance of exhaust going under the members. the wierd thing is mine had a big braket on the passenger side with a bunch of bolts holding it. looking to swap in an s10 cross member for a manual trans. those got the right clearances. but are these wide enough to bolt on the rails of the frame?
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
i wish they made dual exhaust cross members with the dual humps for clearance of exhaust going under the members.
They did. They were on all 73-76 half tons and some of the later cat free trucks. I picked one up from a junkyard for my 77. Makes your header/crossmember problems go away instantly.

...or you could just have a custom tubular crossmember made.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
frog210

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
They did. They were on all 73-76 half tons and some of the later cat free trucks. I picked one up from a junkyard for my 77. Makes your header/crossmember problems go away instantly.

...or you could just have a custom tubular crossmember made.
That would explain why my 74 has to humps on the cross member thanks for the info, if only you could have told that to the po because my drivers side goes under the hump and the passenger side goes over the hump

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog210 View Post
That would explain why my 74 has to humps on the cross member thanks for the info, if only you could have told that to the po because my drivers side goes under the hump and the passenger side goes over the hump
Yeah, I didn't want to have to have any crazy bends in the exhaust, that's why I picked up the other crossmember. Makes for a nice, clean install.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog210 View Post
some serious stuff there frog. who done that exhaust?
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote