The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
01spirit750

Re: My 57 Chev Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malichi91 View Post
I have a 383 chevy small block with lower rolling assembly on the engine stand waiting for some attention. I need help with finding cyl heads and a cam. Intake and exhaust valve sizes, cc size, and cam lobe lift size.
I suggest looking into the Edelbrock RPM package (heads, intake and carb). I have had mine running for a while and some driving around the neighborhood. It idles pretty good and has good power. I like the RPM package because it was all designed to work together. I do not like mixing and match components and hoping they will work well together.

With a 350 they claim 420hp. With a 383 you should get 450hp?
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
Malichi91

Yeah that's about the HP i'm looking for. I have the program desktop dyno and have been running the numbers and theoretically I can get pretty close to 500.
Malichi91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #28
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey777 View Post
Here is a thought for a smooth firewall, it is a fiberglass cover that glues on. I would weld the holes shut myself but with you not being a welder it is a viable option. There is an article on the how to install in Custom Classic Trucks, I don't know the month/year but I'm sure a google search would find it.

http://www.nolimit.net/prodinfo.asp?number=CFWC
I was going to post a link to this too. I know a guy who did this with a piece of flat plate and just bolted it on using the existing firewall and hood hinges as a sandwich to hold it in between. He DIDNT put a matching tunnel/depression in it, he kicked the engine forward a couple inches - kinda weird looking. I've thought of doing the same except leaving the tunnel/hump as a cut out and seams sealing the edge between the two pieces of metal with a sandable seam sealer. One positive of doing it this way is it adds a layer of sound and heat insulation to the cab!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Malichi91

Well it has been a really long road. The garage is almost finished and ready for final inspection. I'll post a current picture. Then I can get my truck in and start getting things together.

This is a artist rendering of the hopeful 57"

I got a Mustang II IFS w/ 2" drop spindles.
I found a 383 block with lower rolling assembly.
Gonna get a Inglese EZ-EFI 8 Stack intake.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
Kim57

The rendering looks real nice and so does the intake.
Kim
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #31
mixermike

WOW..i like your taste in trucks and color....here are a couple of mine.i have 17" wheels in the picture.i have new 18's and 20's to put on as soon as the tires get here next week

mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #32
57truckguy

Wellif its not to late I might suggest for the front end to talk to Steve at Industrial Chassic in AZ. He has a cross member to put in your frame and then bolt on all the factory supension including the rack and pinion sterring, 12 inch disk brakes and all the other parts from a 95 to 98 Dodge Dakota pick up. I know it seems wierd to not have all chevy parts but this set up is real cool with the correct width and ruggetness to be a truck plus there are several companys making drop spinels for this truck and you can to to the local dodge dealer and get replacement parts. Have your alignment man set it up as a dodge pickup and it doesn't get much better. Took me a weekend to install including the teardown. Use the springs for a 4 cylinder and you get a quick drop of about 4 to 4 1/2 inches. plus any drop splindel you might get. Drives like a dream.. and no bump steer. I used a Chevy power sterring pump and all is well. been driving it for the last 5 years.
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #33
Rude Dude

Industrial Chassis has since changed their design since Fiat bought Chrysler a lot of parts are being discountinued. So Steve had to redesigned his front end still top notch but no more chrysler based parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Wellif its not to late I might suggest for the front end to talk to Steve at Industrial Chassic in AZ. He has a cross member to put in your frame and then bolt on all the factory supension including the rack and pinion sterring, 12 inch disk brakes and all the other parts from a 95 to 98 Dodge Dakota pick up. I know it seems wierd to not have all chevy parts but this set up is real cool with the correct width and ruggetness to be a truck plus there are several companys making drop spinels for this truck and you can to to the local dodge dealer and get replacement parts. Have your alignment man set it up as a dodge pickup and it doesn't get much better. Took me a weekend to install including the teardown. Use the springs for a 4 cylinder and you get a quick drop of about 4 to 4 1/2 inches. plus any drop splindel you might get. Drives like a dream.. and no bump steer. I used a Chevy power sterring pump and all is well. been driving it for the last 5 years.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #34
Malichi91

Well this has been a long process. The garage is finally built and my 57 chevy project truck and my father in-laws 67 VW bus project have been moved in.

Truck Project Gallery

Has anyone installed a TCI IFS front end? I'm trying to figure out the boxing the frame part for the crossmember.