The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
cleanfreak

Re: I don't like the stock baby blue. Thinking of dark green Anybody else done this?

This seams to have turned into a "save the blue" thread!. It had to grow on me also with my 68 , now I wouldn't paint it anything else.
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
Elchopperfreak

Re: I don't like the stock baby blue. Thinking of dark green Anybody else done this?

Nice truck..
Glad you are happy with it..
Im almost done with my 1970.. and it already has a new owner..so looking for another one

Posted via Mobile Device
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
ole dollor

you could always get everything else done and in good working order, and drive it like it is, then some day if you decide to paint it, then just paint it the color you like.....i do like the blue color on these trucks.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchopperfreak View Post
Nice truck..
Glad you are happy with it..
Im almost done with my 1970.. and it already has a new owner..so looking for another one

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Wow, yours is beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #30
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
you could always get everything else done and in good working order, and drive it like it is, then some day if you decide to paint it, then just paint it the color you like.....i do like the blue color on these trucks.
That sounds like a good plan, but I'll definitely keep the blue. The interior paint is almost flawless, and I really don't want to deal with painting it to match whatever exterior color.

I like the idea of just getting the things I want, and doing bodywork and paint last (if at all). Probably more exciting and motivating, not to mention easier to swallow the smaller amounts of money all along, instead of a huge chunk of change all at once upfront to do paint and bodywork
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Bolt-Action

Go dark green!

I know the Color you're talking about because its the same Color that my 67 is GOING to be with saddle interior.

Funny enough my 67 was orig the same Color as yours but I hate, hate, hate baby, light blue, always have....
Posted via Mobile Device

"Hey dog...dog! Did ya see the size of that chicken?!"
Bolt-Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt-Action View Post
Go dark green!

I know the Color you're talking about because its the same Color that my 67 is GOING to be with saddle interior.

Funny enough my 67 was orig the same Color as yours but I hate, hate, hate baby, light blue, always have....
Posted via Mobile Device
Is yours that lighter "Mylanta" colored blue, or like mine?

I wasn't a fan of the blue either, but it has really grown on me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #33
Elchopperfreak

I painted it recently, wanted to paint the original color but had been painted (badly) twice already.
So the blue was decided for a few reasons ( and seems the right ones) but if this truck, or any was in as good condition as yours I would paint the original color and save myself a lot of work and spent $$
Posted via Mobile Device
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #34
Bolt-Action

My truck was orig a slightly darker blue than yours.
Here's a couple pics I got from Custom Classic Trucks, I love this truck. When I saw I knew this was gonna be the Color of my 67. From the frt it looks black but from the side you can see its a dark green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
Bolt-Action

Same truck, different angle
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
jocko

I like what you've got - BUT, if you have your heart set on a dark green, I'd lean toward Dark Olive Poly vice a custom, almost black, shade of green. Takes the truck into the "custom" arena, and my 2c is that it's HARD to pull off (just saw Bolt Action's truck - he clearly pulled it off and it looks like the truck has had a lot of work done - looks gorgeous, but also looks very custom (I like it!)). It would need to be a fully redone top to bottom custom truck in my book to be able to pull of a blackish-green (like Bolt Action's). Whereas you could change it to dark olive poly and you could still look like a stock truck.

So, what are your plans with the overall truck? That might drive the paint plan a bit more directly.

Here's a few pics of some dark olive poly trucks - the 1st one is a member's I believe and I think it's GORGEOUS. Dark olive poly is one of my fave colors for these trucks - but once you paint it, it'll never be original baby blue again. or it's all good!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #37
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I like what you've got - BUT, if you have your heart set on a dark green, I'd lean toward Dark Olive Poly vice a custom, almost black, shade of green. Takes the truck into the "custom" arena, and my 2c is that it's HARD to pull off (just saw Bolt Action's truck - he clearly pulled it off and it looks like the truck has had a lot of work done - looks gorgeous, but also looks very custom (I like it!)). It would need to be a fully redone top to bottom custom truck in my book to be able to pull of a blackish-green (like Bolt Action's). Whereas you could change it to dark olive poly and you could still look like a stock truck.

So, what are your plans with the overall truck? That might drive the paint plan a bit more directly.

Here's a few pics of some dark olive poly trucks - the 1st one is a member's I believe and I think it's GORGEOUS. Dark olive poly is one of my fave colors for these trucks - but once you paint it, it'll never be original baby blue again. or it's all good!
Thanks, man. Those are nice trucks, but I'm sticking with the blue. Either the stock paint the way it is, or a fresh paint job the same shade.

My goal is to have everything functional first. The 350 was already rebuilt, and I replaced the battery and added a new K&N. The heater core was missing, so I replaced it. Put in all new hoses. The door locks didn't work, so I put in new ones, along with matching ignition and glovebox lock. The passenger window wouldn't roll up at all, so I fixed that. The drivers window took two hands to roll up and down, so I fixed that. Just tonight, I got my cig lighter outlet working. That's the bulk of what it needed, so I can do some cosmetic stuff.

1. Already painted the rear bumper with primer, and will paint silver when weather clears up
2. Need to get the bed ready to coat with primer, and then paint blue.

3. From there, I want to replace stuff that's looking worn, like my grill and front bumper, tail light, marker lights, add trim to tailgate, replace missing moulding pieces, new bench cover, dash pad, steering wheel. Refresh emblems or buy new, replace antenna, find factory stereo and speaker. New visors.

So, basically I want to freshen it up, and have it be as clean as possible for a somewhat beat up truck, that'll continue to be used as a truck camping, hunting, moving, etc.

I really like this thing, and enjoy working on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #38
blue 72 gmc 4x4

A dupont blue
Attached Images

1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
I have to agree. I think the baby blue is one of the nicest colors that GM ever put out, and the patina on yours is amazing. I would spend the money on chrome and new bumpers and trim and leave the paint the way it is. Its a REALLY nice looking truck. I would never in a million years paint that truck dark green
^ What he said!!!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #40
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

heres the front of a baby blue, i am liking it more and more each day i look at it. although the light green with a white top will alway be my favorite
Attached Images

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #41
tommys72

i love the blue, i wouldnt ever change the color. when mine gets repainted itll be the original blue still...im a big fan of the original paitn and color....not hijacking your thread, but heres a pic of mine also. the second picture is the day i bought it
Attached Images

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote