The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Badazta

62 C20 ls1 conversion questions

New guy here... I picked up a 62 c20 2wd straight 6 3 speed, I'm going to swap in a ls1 with a 4l60e trans. I also want to swap it over to 5 lug. (I got a good deal on this truck that's why I don't want to "just by a c10") my questions are, would it be easier to swap the frame? Or weld in a camaro or nova subframe? If its a fre swap what frame would be easiest to work with? It is a long box. Thanks for your answers and future help! Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Badazta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 62 C20 ls1 conversion questions

check out the LS swaps section of the engines and transmission section for more on the ls swap.

Usually swapping frames isn't worth it on these trucks, since there isn't much to be gained unless you were doing a super unusual drivetrain swap (dmax or something). IIRC 73-87 truck front crossmembers bolt on, allowing you to have the newer style hubs, brakes etc. I know they should work off a c20, but i THINK you can use the c10 subframe to go to 5lug. I'm not as smart on the 3/4t+ stuff.

I'd also advise thinking about going with one of the ls truck motors instead of the ls1, as parts are cheaper, power levels are the same if not better in some cases, and you don't pay the premium that you do with an ls1.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 62 C20 ls1 conversion questions

While I typically advise against frame swaps, the '60-'62 frames is where I would be inclined to make an exception. Nothing against those of you that own a '60-'62, but I just don't like the restriction of the 'X' in the middle of the frame. Although it is not as bad in a long bed truck. It can be worked around as many guys have done so, but there's just some things about that 'X' member that I don't like. The '63-'66 frames would be a close swap. However there will be some work involved in modifying the bed mounts for the newer frame.

If you do decide to swap frames, check with your local DMV to see what is needed to make everything legal with a frame swap.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote