The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
64shortbox

Power door lock question

I'm in the process of adding power windows & locks to my truck. I scavenged the entire power window/power door lock wiring harness, switches, conduits, and door lock solenoids. There was only one problem ONE wire had been cut before I got to the truck. It's an orange wire. I'm guessing it's hot all the time to activate the power door lock relay. There was a pink wire that runs next to the orange one & it plugged into the fuse box to be hot only when the ignition was on.
The first picture shows the orange wire that was cut. I'm adding these options to my 64 C10, I prefer to keep my Chevy all GM.
Thanks in advance for any information or help anyone can provide.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
hatzie

Re: Power door lock question

Wiring diagrams are in my signature... Hope it helps.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
frog210

Pink goes to your fuse panel ignition switch
and orange goes to your battery with a inline 30amp fuse
Thats how i did it on my 74

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
64shortbox

Smile Re: Power door lock question

hatzie & frog210,
Thank you both for your fast response. You both have helped me out tremendously. I was pretty sure that the orange wige went to a constant hot but now I know for sure. And now I know what size fuse it takes.
Again, thank you both very much. That's what I love about this site, everyone is so eager to help out even with my stupid questions.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
frog210

yea no problem we all have questions so just ask, also nice truck

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
splehigh

Nice truck 64shortbox
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
64shortbox

Thanks, but I can't take credit for anything that you see there. It looks just the way I bought it 3 years ago. All the stuff I've done to it you can't even see and almost no one would even notice. I've added a van tilt column, a radiator recovery/windshield washer courtesy of a Ford Exploder, a brake pedal from a 74 C10, a 10 disc CD changer (I had it laying around), interior foot well lights & door jamb swithces from the same 74 C10 combined with those from a Jeep Cherokee & A/C vents from a 64 Chrysler - I never cared for the cheesy looking Vintage Air A/C vents. There's still a LOT more I plan to do, the power window/door locks of course, adding a cable throttle pedal from a 72 C10 to match my 74 brake pedal, add one more Chrysler center vent to match my end vents, I picked up a 1 1/4" front sway bar form a 74 one ton, a rear sway bar from a third generation Camaro I have it all steam cleaned, media blasted & painted but not iinstalled yet. I've added power brakes with a dual master, I have a disc brake front suspension form a 74 C10 all rebuilt & ready to go in, I just need to get off my lazy a$$ and installit all. I want to add the "Custom" sail panels & stainless windshield trim too & I've even picked up an automatic brake release from a 66 Caddy & switch from a 70 Caddy so when I drop the truck into Drive or Reverse the emergency brake will release automaticly. I even picked up an air bag set up for the rear with comressor, tank, 2 valves, 2 Contitech 2600 bags for $100 (used of course) Most everything I've added came from the local self serve wrecking yard on 1/2 off day. What can I say I'm CHEAP!!!! My wife says I can squeeze a nickle so hard I can make Jefferson cry. For instance all that power window/lock stuff - wiring harness, switches, actuators, relays, conduits or boots, a cowl extension form a 61 C10 without antenna hole and a couple of other odds & ends cost me a whopping $44 & some change at a half off day.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
splehigh

Those are some really cool mods that youve done. Nothing wrong with being cheap. My wife says the same about me.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
frog210

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Thanks, but I can't take credit for anything that you see there. It looks just the way I bought it 3 years ago. All the stuff I've done to it you can't even see and almost no one would even notice. I've added a van tilt column, a radiator recovery/windshield washer courtesy of a Ford Exploder, a brake pedal from a 74 C10, a 10 disc CD changer (I had it laying around), interior foot well lights & door jamb swithces from the same 74 C10 combined with those from a Jeep Cherokee & A/C vents from a 64 Chrysler - I never cared for the cheesy looking Vintage Air A/C vents. There's still a LOT more I plan to do, the power window/door locks of course, adding a cable throttle pedal from a 72 C10 to match my 74 brake pedal, add one more Chrysler center vent to match my end vents, I picked up a 1 1/4" front sway bar form a 74 one ton, a rear sway bar from a third generation Camaro I have it all steam cleaned, media blasted & painted but not iinstalled yet. I've added power brakes with a dual master, I have a disc brake front suspension form a 74 C10 all rebuilt & ready to go in, I just need to get off my lazy a$$ and installit all. I want to add the "Custom" sail panels & stainless windshield trim too & I've even picked up an automatic brake release from a 66 Caddy & switch from a 70 Caddy so when I drop the truck into Drive or Reverse the emergency brake will release automaticly. I even picked up an air bag set up for the rear with comressor, tank, 2 valves, 2 Contitech 2600 bags for $100 (used of course) Most everything I've added came from the local self serve wrecking yard on 1/2 off day. What can I say I'm CHEAP!!!! My wife says I can squeeze a nickle so hard I can make Jefferson cry. For instance all that power window/lock stuff - wiring harness, switches, actuators, relays, conduits or boots, a cowl extension form a 61 C10 without antenna hole and a couple of other odds & ends cost me a whopping $44 & some change at a half off day.

On that radiator, windshield thing does the windshield water squirt work? lol does it work is what im trying to say? and what year explorer

Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
64shortbox

frog210,
Yes, the windshield washer does work. Good eye - I hadn't finished hooking it up yet in the picture I posted. The washer jar/radiator over flow tank didn't look good when I bought it. I blasted it with the hose then filled the radiator side up with some full strength no name brand of CLR that Lowe's carries, let it soak over night shoved a rag inside with a long screw driver swished it around and rinsed. A little Armorall and it looks just as you see it. The over flow/washer jar came off a 94 Explorer but a lot of the full size trucks and cars have the exact same assembly in them. I deliberately picked a tank that had water in the radiator side and was only partially full on the washer side. I figured if the tank was empty it had a leak, if the washer side was completely full I figured the pump wouldn't work. I only used clean fresh water to rinse out the washer side because I was afraid of damaging the pump. My windshield nozzles also came form a Ford full size truck - I'm guessing late 60's I used the factory Chevy dimples in my firewall to locate the nozzels but drilled my holes 3/8" lower to clear the fixed cowl part that covers the wiper linkage, not to be confused with the removable cowl that the wiper arms pass through. I did have to tweak the nozzles to squirt between the slats in the removable cowl and to hit center of the windshield. I bought my 2 speed washer switch off ebay. On my 64 the factory squirters worked by completing the ground so I ran a fused constant hot to the pump and the ground to my switch.
As an added thought I see you are a valet. I also used to be a valet, parking cars at the Fairmont & the Ramada Renaissance in San Francisco but that was over 30 years ago. Those skills still come in handy today though. I've added a picture of my 64 C10 parked next to my 62 Pontiac Catalina that I'm also working on but parts for that are Very Expensive.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
frog210

Hey a fellow valet nice, those skill are always handy
and in the last pic thats a tight squeeze i can tell you were a valet
we all ways had to deal with tight spots lol