The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
reddragon

Grandpa's 1948 truck

Hello everyone,

I need some advice, Granny fell broke her leg and the altimerzers has set in, she is living with us. We are going through her things, barn, etc. Have Grandpa’s truck, a 1948 GMC 1-1/2 ton with a FORD stake pocket flat bed 12' long x 87" wide on it. Hey I know, but Grandpa didn’t give a ^%$*, he piece milled him a work truck. I need some advice on what the truck is worth? Has a cracked engine block or head, parked in the barn since 71-72, dent in right fender, 33,472 miles, surface rusty, but no rot. Found manual, think it is a Model FC-303, with 161" wheelbase and 248 engine.

reddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Grandpa's 1948 truck

That's a pretty loaded question reddragon. simply because on a truck like that in that condition it's who's selling, who's buying and how bad the buyer wants it and why.

A guy who's really into the big AD trucks will probably give a bit more for it especially if he has access to a good replacement engine. Some guys are only going to want it for what appears to be one really nice 48 GMC cab to use on a 1/2 ton pickup.

The Ford bed may be worth something to a Ford guy who is hunting that particular bed for a truck he is restoring. I've seen a few of them and they are a really good looking flatbed frame. Having it on the GMC doesn't knock anything off the value of the GMC though.

I have no idea on what kind of price to put on it. I get sticker shock every time I see old vehicles advertised for sale lately and feel that I'm a bit out of touch price wise.
Your location may have as much to do with it's price/value as anything.

I would however clean it up inside and out before putting it up for sale. Even to cleaning up the engine and engine compartment even though it most likely doesn't run. A nice shiny and clean truck with all the tires aired up just looks a lot better to prospective buyers when they walk up to it the first time. That they can hop up in the seat and not worry about getting their clothes dirty is a plus because they will want to. It''s also easier for them to sell their wife on the idea of buying it rather than trying to tell her what that dusty truck with the greasy engine compartment and load of scrap wood on the bed will look like when the spend a few thousand more dollars on it. And they may not try to knock you down on the price as much as they wold the way it sits.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote