The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Side emblem restoration questions

I believe the area behind the "8 350" is supposed to be black, correct? Have any of you guys successfully restored these emblems? How'd you do it? What about the "custom 20" emblem? Is that supposed to be black in places?

I'd just buy new emblems, but they bolt on from the back, and would probably be a giant pain to remove, I'm guessing? Probably need to drop each fender well to get to it? No thanks. Just did that on one side when I replaced my heater core. What a pain that was.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
terry b

Re: Side emblem restoration questions

Remove the tire then drop the iner fender.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Agent915

What he said. I believe you can re-install them using something called a "Barrell clip." They are small metal clips that just slip over the prongs on the emblem. Once they're on you simply press the emblem into place. They make a good solid "pop" when they lock in. Also, it saves you the worry of twisting the prong off when you tighten the speed nut down. Emblems are expensive! Anyway, just a suggestion.

Peace out!

Danny
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Guys, remember me saying I just dropped one of my fenders, and it was a pita? These trucks are over 40 years old, and every bolt you attempt to remove, can be a rusted on- no way in hell it's gonna budge, situation. I had two bolts on one fender that I had to cut off because they wouldn't budge, and it was impossible to reach up behind and grab the nut to give it any resistance, so they just spun. I'm trying to avoid the hassle of this, plus the cost of new emblems, if these can just be painted while on the vehicle
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
nobolt

inside of the letters "c-u-s-t-o-m" is black and the high outline ridge of these letters is chrome. the slash and "20" is all chrome.
your 8/350 looks right... black 8....chrome 350 on black background.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Agent915

Not a problem. I can't tell from the picture the condition of your emblems but I would, if they're rough, mask off around them and take a Dremmel set on a low speed with a polish stone to clean them up. Then use a little modeler's enamel and a small touch-up brush and paint away! If there in decent shape already, just hit the areas that will get paint with a little sand paper to give the surface some tooth then paint them. Should turn out nice. I feel your pain on the seized bolts!! Broke most of mine in disassembly.

Danny
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
inside of the letters "c-u-s-t-o-m" is black and the high outline ridge of these letters is chrome. the slash and "20" is all chrome.
your 8/350 looks right... black 8....chrome 350 on black background.
Thanks man. Just remembered I could probably look on brothers and see pictures. Boy, theyre expensive! rhe custom 20 alone is $75 each. Wow. But, how does one go about painting these? A small brush and some black paint? Anybody got a type of paint I should use?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
terry b

Took every bolt out of every thing i have ever worked on. Some are hard some not so much. The trick is to think about what you are going to do then take your time. Every one you take out and clean and lube is one less to do. I try to restore or repair every part on my truck and not just replace stuff. Have fun with your truck. It looks nice.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Daddy Brim

I repainted my custom camper emblems with model paint some small brushes and lots of patience. Then follow with rattle can clear.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Brim View Post
I repainted my custom camper emblems with model paint some small brushes and lots of patience. Then follow with rattle can clear.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
jocko

I'd like to see your re-done emblems Daddy Brim. I think the brush is probably the best way - I was considering the squirt it-then-rub the chrome areas off with thinner (like folks used to do to aluminum finned valve covers) but that won't really work because more than just the top flat surface is chrome, so gotta carefully paint. Lotsa work.

Mister-B, as someone mentioned above, you can get to these by just dropping the innder fender a bit, not the whole fender itself. Regardless, ya gotta remove em to repaint, so if $ isn't the issue, might as well stick brand new ones on there.

Unless they are completely trashed, might even consider leaving them lookin old to match your patina. But then again, sprucin em up would be a very nice complementary addition to your newly painted bumper. I'm diggin what you're doing to this old truck!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
AirSpeed

I used a heavy putty knife and slid it behind the emblems then gave it a wack with a hammer. The studs snapped right off. I then bought new ones, roughed up the studs a little and used a tiny dab of epoxy on each stud. They've been on my 69 ten years and my 72 about three years.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
RipMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Thanks man. Just remembered I could probably look on brothers and see pictures. Boy, theyre expensive! rhe custom 20 alone is $75 each. Wow. But, how does one go about painting these? A small brush and some black paint? Anybody got a type of paint I should use?

Posted via Mobile Device
Classic Heartbeat has them $75 for the pair (Not Each)

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/cata...%20Emblems.htm

$45 for the pair on the 350
http://www.classicheartbeat.com/cata...%20emblems.htm
RipMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
nobolt

watch the boards.....i got a driver quality ++ "CUSTOM/30" for $20 shipped a month or so ago. they dont repop those either, only "CHEYENNE/30"

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote