The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Cant get it to fire...

So truck sat for two years while I was deployed and due to short notice on the deployment I wasnt able to get it properly "winterized" before I left. Heres what I have done, but still not able to get it to run on good gas.

I drained and replaced oil, primed the motor, new battery, pulled fuel tank because I am replacing the in cab tank with an under bed tank, ran a fuel line to a gas can from the fuel pump. Blew out the fuel lines from the pump to the carb. Temporarily installed a glass inline filter so I could see if the pump was pumping fuel. (I will remove it before I run it for too long) sprayed the carb with some sea foam product that is supposed to be like carb cleaner, let it sit over night. The fuel pump is pumping to the carb through the lines, but the motor will only fire if I pour fuel into the carb or spray starter fluid in it.

Possible gummed up carb????, and if so I dont have a clue. It is an off the shelf Edelbrock. Problem is I dont really know where to begin with tear down/clean up and reassembly of this carb. Anyone got any insight on this, maybe a "how-to" video, or a home remedy to get it unstuck and good fuel running through it????

Truck is a 67 SWB with a 350/350
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
ubtripn

Re: Cant get it to fire...

Some carbs have little screens on the inlets you can clean.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
Some carbs have little screens on the inlets you can clean.
I pulled the line out of the carb where the fuel line goes in and didnt see any screen in there, Im not quite sure where the clog is but I am almost positive fuel is not getting into the carb
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

First, thanks for your service!

After sitting 2 years, you're probably right about the carb being gummed up. Hopefully someone will jump on here with a "how-to". Good luck!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
kq4pc

Thumbs up Re: Cant get it to fire...

Hey Tex, I had the same problem with my 56 chevy,with eldebrock.pulled fuel line loose and sprayed wd40 into carb while moving throttle on carb.got it to break loose.good luck and thanks for your service from a vietnam vet. Later Bobby
Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Bolt-Action

The Eddy carbs are super easy to tear down and rebuild.
Several auto part stores carry the Eddy rebuild kits sitting on the shelf.
The directions and schematics are clear and easy to follow.
The only tip or 2 I have is your Eddy carb came with screens either on the inlet OR on the the needle/seat assemblies-do NOT use both, either the inlet OR the needle/seat assemblies.

The fuel inlet is on the passenger back corner NOT front and center-that's a vacuum port
Posted via Mobile Device

"Hey dog...dog! Did ya see the size of that chicken?!"
Bolt-Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
tex_waco_usmc

OK, so I have been kicking around this idea for a few days and wondered what you guys thought... Might be crazy. I have a bucket of carb cleaner/parts cleaner that has never been used it is crystal clear. If I take this carb off and let it soak in it overnight (The entire carb still assembled) will it eat the chrome off of the outside of the carb?

When dealing with lawnmower/small engine carbs it is difficult sometimes to get all the buildup out of the inside. So when I tear one down to "rebuild" it, I let it soak overnight in carb cleaner and then blow every thing out in the morning. But, will this technique eat the chrome off of the carb???
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Bolt-Action

Why risk it?
Run down to Advanced Auto,
Grab the Eddy rebuild kit and 2 cans of carb cleaner,
Go home pull your carb and spend 20mins rebuilding it and use liberal amounts of carb cleaner on the inside as you go.
The Eddy carbs are really easy to rebuild (similar to a Carter carb)
Use your cellphone to take pics as you tear it down so if you get stuck you can refer to your pics for reassembly, but the schematics in the instructions are super clear and easy to follow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
70CHEVYBB

I had the same problem when I bought my 72 that sat for two or so years. I installed a new fuel pump due to no fuel getting to the carb. Still would not start unless I dumped fuel in the carb. I removed the carb to to find the needle had tuck in the seat and would not let gas in the the bowl. Pulled it out cleaned it and started it up and drove home.

Wes
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
tex_waco_usmc

Ok, I gotcha, I will do that and see where we are when the dust settles! LOL
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Bolt-Action

I'm assuming you have a 600cfm electric choke #1406 (?)
You'd be surprised how much setitment you'll find in a carb but if you pull the needle/seat assemblies-hell, that's most of the tear down on the carb.
You'll have to disconnect part of the linkage on the right side, metering rods/springs etc and pull the top off the carb just to get to the needle/seat assemblies, might as well throw some new parts in her, and clean her out, you know?
Just my 2 cents, I didn't mean to sound pushy/bossy lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Do a Google search on the net or in you tube to get an idea of how you can take them apart and clean if necessary. They're easier than you may think and as I told my neighbor whose truck would flood and was afraid to take the carb apart "no b@lls no glory." He dove in and was surpised how much gunk was inside.

The stuck needle valve mentioned above is a good start, but before removing the top off, remove the inlet line and place in a plastic container. Have someone crank the truck and it should pump about a pint of fuel in less than 30 seconds.
If it does, the fuel pump should be good.

Go to the Edelbrock site for a some good info on your model carb and here's a you tube link for edlebrock repair stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.Jrlju59enao
06 Trailblazer
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt-Action View Post
I'm assuming you have a 600cfm electric choke #1406 (?)
You'd be surprised how much setitment you'll find in a carb but if you pull the needle/seat assemblies-hell, that's most of the tear down on the carb.
You'll have to disconnect part of the linkage on the right side, metering rods/springs etc and pull the top off the carb just to get to the needle/seat assemblies, might as well throw some new parts in her, and clean her out, you know?
Just my 2 cents, I didn't mean to sound pushy/bossy lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe so, I will go out and verify tonight. I know that it is electric choke, although it is not connected. I am going to try this tear down clean up and rebuild. I found some youtube clips that go through it and it doesnt appear to be too terribly hard and alot less complicated than I was envisioning.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Do a Google search on the net or in you tube to get an idea of how you can take them apart and clean if necessary. They're easier than you may think and as I told my neighbor whose truck would flood and was afraid to take the carb apart "no b@lls no glory." He dove in and was surpised how much gunk was inside.

The stuck needle valve mentioned above is a good start, but before removing the top off, remove the inlet line and place in a plastic container. Have someone crank the truck and it should pump about a pint of fuel in less than 30 seconds.
If it does, the fuel pump should be good.

Go to the Edelbrock site for a some good info on your model carb and here's a you tube link for edlebrock repair stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.Jrlju59enao
Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
midniteblues

you will probally be surprized at the crud in the carb.eddie's are super easy to clean out just take your time and pay attention where everything went.
I'm not sure about your area but around here if gas is left in a carb for too long it leaves a nasty white powdery residue (I'm assumeing from the ethanol)
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
I appreciate the link... Where are you located? I am originally from Waco!
Wife and I have property close to Bryan/College Station but currently live with mom in law in Bryan where we take care of her.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
Bolt-Action

Remember to take pics with your phone as you go, it'll give you something to refer back to on rebuild. Just take your time and you won't have any problems.
I always run an inline filter-after the pump before the carb-and I still find setiment in carbs I've rebuilt.
On a different note that I may get flamed for- I have 1 big problem with Edelbrock products-ever little, tiny thing costs extra, ex- choke rebuild-extra, off road/race spring loaded needle/seats-extra, metering rods-extra, pump plunger (the only plastic part on the carb!)-extra, etc etc I don't blame em for making a buck, but sheesh! Do we have to pay for the mortgage on their mansions?!?!? Rant over
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
72 K20

(similar to a Carter carb)

They are the same,,Edelbrock bought carter in the mid eighties. They have done quite well with their version of the AFB.
The link is for a book on the edelbrock/carter carburetor.

http://www.mre-books.com/sa130/
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote