The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Ndkshns

Rear Axle options?

Hello all new here, I have a 69 C-10 long bed. The rear axles were put in a short bed, I was left with 69 6 lug axles and front spindles, (The spindles were just put on to be able to move the truck around.) The front has the 72 cross member. So the front is easy and I plan on lowering the truck with drop spindles anyway. However when the swap on the rear axles was done we noticed that the rear gears were broke. So I have 73 - 87 truck sitting here along with a 96 rear end, Will one of these other rears swap in? I have the coil spring rear, and I know that some some of these trucks have leaf springs, so I got to wondering why wont one of these other axles work? This one has been in the faimly for several years, it was orginally my brothers and we did some trading. and I ended up with what is left. Can i just swap the gears and axle shafts?

Also Is there a way to go to a one piece drive shaft?
Ndkshns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Rear Axle options?

You can add the correct spring perch to the 73-87 axle,but that wont allow you to mount your panhard bar. You would need to fab a mount or locate an aftermarket kit to make it work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Ndkshns

What about just swapping to leafs doing away with the coils?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You can do that, but its not a direct swap. The frames are the same up front, but not in the rear. You will need leaf spring hangers from a 67-72 truck.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
SCOTI

The later rear ends are wider as well (another thing to keep in mind).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Ndkshns

I was told that all GMC 67-72 were the leaf and the chevy's had the coil is this true? or are they year and package specific?

Ty do you know how much wider?

Sounds like i just need to source a coil spring rear and stick to stock.

What about the Gears? will the gears from a later model rear fit in my 69 -72? Like I said i have several laying around and could just use the gears in my housing. Will the pinion swap as well? Just trying to use what I have if I can.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndkshns View Post
I was told that all GMC 67-72 were the leaf and the chevy's had the coil is this true? or are they year and package specific?

Ty do you know how much wider?

Sounds like i just need to source a coil spring rear and stick to stock.

What about the Gears? will the gears from a later model rear fit in my 69 -72? Like I said i have several laying around and could just use the gears in my housing. Will the pinion swap as well? Just trying to use what I have if I can.
GMC & Chevys could be ordered w/either rear suspension type.
6x-70 rear ends are about 62", 71-87's were approx ~63.5", 88-98's are approx 65".

Gears will depend on the housing. 10bolt housings use smaller diameter ring gear set-ups & wouldn't interchange (many late model housings are 10bolts).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Ndkshns

so is that extra inch and a half a big deal? if i find some spring perches? i plan to lower it and i wont be running 20s
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
so is that extra inch and a half a big deal? if i find some spring perches? i plan to lower it and i wont be running 20s
For some it is. For others, it might not.

I like a narrower rear end width to allow running deeper dish rear wheels & still fit within the tub area better on a lowered truck (my stuff is usually dropped).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Ndkshns

I read somewhere that the 69 6 lug rear is narrower than the 5 lug by 1 1/2.... if this is true, does that make the 10 bolt the same size as the 5 lug or is it an additional 1 1/2 making it 3 inches in total more width over my current axle? or am i just getting my numbers confused?

I dont mind the extra 1 1/2 width because I dont like how the rear looks sunk in compared to the front anyway. I plan on running 17s with 60s maybe 50s all the way around with a drop and a nice rake. so i am not seeing the extra width axle being a problem. Also will the yoke be the same from the years?

Also I saw a post where a leaf spring axle was used on a coil set up like mine. what all would be involved with that you think?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
I read somewhere that the 69 6 lug rear is narrower than the 5 lug by 1 1/2.... if this is true, does that make the 10 bolt the same size as the 5 lug or is it an additional 1 1/2 making it 3 inches in total more width over my current axle? or am i just getting my numbers confused? I dont mind the extra 1 1/2 width because I dont like how the rear looks sunk in compared to the front anyway. I plan on running 17s with 60s maybe 50s all the way around with a drop and a nice rake. so i am not seeing the extra width axle being a problem. Also will the yoke be the same from the years?

Also I saw a post where a leaf spring axle was used on a coil set up like mine. what all would be involved with that you think?
6x-70 rear ends are about 62", 71-87's were approx ~63.5".
63.5" (5-lug rear ends) - 62" (6-lug rears) = 1.5" difference. 88-98 housings are 65" or an additional 1.5" wider than the 71-87 5-lug housings.

Leaf rears can be swapped into a coil truck. You just need the appropriate mounting pads for the swap (Porterbuilt had them @ one time & Early Classic Enterprises has them).

Yokes are diff as far as the housing sizes are slightly different. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
For some it is. For others, it might not.

I like a narrower rear end width to allow running deeper dish rear wheels & still fit within the tub area better on a lowered truck (my stuff is usually dropped).
same here here where i had narrowed by 3 inches for deep bs wheels
Attached Images

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
SCOTI

To avoid confusing Ndkshns, I was referring specifically to the housing width. There are multiple ways to accomplish the deep dish desire.... On a 67-68 coil suspension truck (OE dimension truck arms w/coil-overs), I had a 15" wide rear wheel w/o having to touch the frame rails.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Ndkshns

I am not looking to tub this thing just get it on the road this is the desired look and stance I want!
[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you for all your info. I now know my options:

find a 6x -72 coil rear swap to five lug axles,
find a 6x- 72 leaf do entire swap...
use a 73-87 be a lil wider in the rear change yoke on Drive shaft to fit. modify axle perches source perches for the axle.

What about a '66 Gmc rear axle? I forgot i have one of those as well.....its a 6 lug and thats a manual truck where my truck is an auto... just another option I may have.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
I am not looking to tub this thing just get it on the road this is the desired look and stance I want!

Thank you for all your info. I now know my options:

find a 6x -72 coil rear swap to five lug axles,
find a 6x- 72 leaf do entire swap...
use a 73-87 be a lil wider in the rear change yoke on Drive shaft to fit. modify axle perches source perches for the axle.

What about a '66 Gmc rear axle? I forgot i have one of those as well.....its a 6 lug and thats a manual truck where my truck is an auto... just another option I may have.
The 66 GMC rear end is the same; doesn't matter on the auto vs stick. The diff would typically be gearing choice from the manufacturer.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

'71 and '72 rear housings are trailing arm/coil springs and a direct bolt-in AND are 5 lugs. they are 1.5" wider that is true, I have one in my "66.

I'd say you'll want an adjustable panhard bar and a shock relocater kit if you're dropping it

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 11-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote