The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Jimbabwe

Don't bleed out: rock/bash guard

Do any of the 4x4 or rock crawler guys know of a transmission/motor pan rock guard I could use on my bagged truck? I'm running an I6 and TH350. Any one that's better than another, etc...
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Don't bleed out: rock/bash guard

I doubt you'll find one that's premade.Most have provision for the transfer case.I assume you are looking for one to protect the tranny pan.Keep in mind that once you install one the ground clearance will be reduced.I think in the case of a bagged,2wd truck I would build my own to fit.Don't forget that you will need to have clearance between the tranny pan and the skid plate,making even less ground clearance.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Yep, as mentioned, you won't likely find something premade for your setup. It wouldn't be hard to build something, and yes, you will need about 1/2" or so clearance between the bottom of the pan and the skid plate for movement of the transmission.

Since you are probably more worried about scrapes and dents from speed bumps and such than piercing from rocks and such, you won't need such a heavy and thick material. A really nice option is some UHMW, the material cutting boards are made of, it is decently light weight, and it is "slicker", as in the belly will be more apt to slide across the obstacle, rather than getting hung up on a piece of metal. Not to mention, it won't rust, and you won't have the horrible screeching grinding noise of metal, but a quieter scrape. It also doesn't permanently bend or dent.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Jimbabwe

Thanks for that fellas. Yeah, I'm looking at it and playing with ideas about what to make. I just figured if there were a few simple ones already made I'd order one. Living in new york sh*##y, you never know what might be laying in the middle of the street!
I wouldn't mind the scraping noise; scares the soccer moms--or even worse, soccer dads-- in their minivans.
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote