The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
melhilburn

how to remove tranmission tunnel

1964 c10 - Is it a good idea to remove the transmission tunnel when replacing the clutch - How do you remvoe the darn thing?
melhilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: how to remove tranmission tunnel

some 64's the tunnel is spot welded in, if not pull the mat , and it might be bolted in, but, I think all the work you need to do is underneth the truck.
pull the flywheel cover
unbolt the pressure plate , you will have to spin the motor to get them all
unbolt the trans/driveshaft slide the trans back, or pull it out so you can drop the clutch and pressure plate out - if you have a floor shift trans, you can push down and spin the retainer ring around the shifter, to remove that and get it out of the way.

thats kind of a quick explanation... hope that helps
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
melhilburn

Thanks for the help - looks like mine is spot welded - I have a few questions regarding the cluthc / PP - 1.) should i remove the spak plugs to make it easier to turn the engine? 2.) What is the best way to get the pilot bearing out if I don't remove the bellhousing?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

that would make it so that you could turn it easy by hand, sometimes there is a bolt holding the balancer to the crank, you can also use that to turn the motor.

not sure on the pilot bushing.. ? there might be enough room in there to use a tool to pull it out?
hopefullu someone elese will chime in on removing the bushing....
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
ChuckW

HAte to interject here but...... I have changed clutch's in several car/truck combos. While recomended, I do not actually think the pilot bushing needs to be replaced except for enging overhaul. All it does is support the nose of the input shaft. It is not a cloce tolerance fit. I would give it a good visual and use best judgement from there. If you're leaving the BH attached then yes, remove the plugs! Why make a tough job tougher!?
If you must replace the PB. There is a tool made, available at most Parts houses. You insert it into the bushing then using a grease gun fill the cavity behind the bushing and hydraulically push out the bushing.... IF, you really must! Good luck on all!!
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
melhilburn

Thanks for the confirmation - I really didn't feel like the PB needed to be replaced just because your replacing the clutch - I will give it at good look when I pull the clutch - but But since it is just supporting the end of transmission input shaft it should be ok (Hopefully)