The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
danheit

Rebuild Original MC or buy new?

OK guys, now that I have pulled my brake MC out (about 2 weeks ago now), and I know it needs a rebuild and honed at the very least, which direction should I go? I know I can purchase a reproduction brake master cylinder for about $40 online, or I can rebuild my original one by purchasing a honing kit for about 17, and a seal kit for around 18+shipping. Figuring they will both come out to the same price, should I rebuild the original MC (single reservoir), keeping in mind I am building this truck to drive for fun and be an actual truck, no number matching. OR, should I just go ahead and get a new one, which I am sure will be a made in China piece, but will at least be new and have a warranty?

As much as I would LOVE to put in a dual MC setup, that $$ just isn't in the budget right now between the $100 bracket, and another $50-100 or so for a used MC/booster setup.

What would you do?
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Rebuild Original MC or buy new?

I always rebuild the single master cyls. They are basic & simple. If you have pits in it that wont hone out you will need a new one.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Yukon 400

I've rebuilt mine, a few months ago Napa had the rebuild kit in stock for less than $10. It was a pretty simple process, there were a few minor pits so a little honing was required. This was on a big truck so a new MC was not that cheap.

Another option, might be taking a look at a trailer brake MC, after rebuilding it it seems to be the same designed used in some larger trailers with hydraulic surge brakes. Trailer stores around here usually have them for less than $40

1952 Chevy 6400 Truck - Looking for a direction in life
Yukon 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

I'd suggest a dual master cylinder without the power booster. NEVER compromise where safety is concerned.

The Rules:

1. Make it Stop.
2. Make it Go
3. Make it cool.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
danheit

Thx guys, I have yet to do anything with the MC as our weather here has been less than desirable (for us). I spent the last day off I had finishing off the body mounts on my '55. I think I am gonna take a whack at rebuilding the mc. Gonna buy the honing tool first though, see how that works. If I get out without any pitting after that I will go forward and buy the rebuild kit.

Dan, it's funny that you say that, cause I always tell people the same rules! Oddly enough, I am having a hard time wanting to follow them on the 57! Had to make sure it would go before anything else, to decide whether or not it was worth saving.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
As much as I would LOVE to put in a dual MC setup, that $$ just isn't in the budget right now between the $100 bracket, and another $50-100 or so for a used MC/booster setup.

What would you do?
make your own bracket $0
you will still need the mc/booster

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote