The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
lmdangerous

electric fan mounts

I have finally gotten all the pieces into place. The simple, easy way to mount it would be zip tie/ pull thru kit that they sent with the fan (16 inch)- as in directly to the radiator core. I see it in the pictures , etc -but I really wonder now .
It would look cleaner that way as well, but this fan is pretty heavy , and I wonder about the aluminum core holding. Funny I never worried about this on my race cars that I run on the drag strip. Am I being over cautious. Anyone ever had any problems mounting them this way - it is afterall the hardware that came with the kit.
As always - Ill take any inf0/ or help - dont be afraid you wont hurt my feelings.
LMD
lmdangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
drivea55

Re: electric fan mounts

funny uou ask this, when i bought 2 electric fans and went to mount them on my new aluminum racing radiator, i thought the same thing. will it hold... also I did not like the thought of pushing those zippies thru a brand new radiator.

I got over it, pushed it thru and it holds 2 12" fans just fine. my truck is not at the stage that it is driven yet but they havent fallen off lol!

SOLD to "ONEBADFIVEFIVE"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=436406
drivea55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
lmdangerous

I made a frame from 1/2 inch square tubing , put the 4 mounting tabs and mounted it on the radiator support - damn near on the radiator - less than 1/4 clearence - finishing up as we speak-on a supper break. I went to a friends place and he a has two like yours mounted with the zips on a 70 K street rod. This truck gets used alot, but not abused , but I have been known to load one, and the roads down in this part of the world will beat a vehicle to death.LMD
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
youngsta

I have had those zips break before. Top two snapped fan leaned from the top on my billet fan pulley gouged it real good. Luckily my radiator was not damaged. Make a metal bracket.
youngsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
54 jimmy

i agree make a shroud or a bracket to mount the fan/fans on. it is just pice of mind i trust metal over plastic any day espically for longevity. just my 2 cents.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
yossarian19

A fan shroud will do two things for you. First, it will increase efficacy of the fans. Second, it will keep those zip ties from rubbing on the soft metal a radiator is made from.
No first hand experience but a friend of mine claims to have developed more than one radiator leak from just this.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
lmdangerous

About done . Running the wiring and relay /saftey switches. Happy Thanksgiving everyone - remember you live in America- and inspite of everything that seems to be wrong - we have much to be thankful for .
LMD
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
lmdangerous

Happy Thanksgiving- Again -hope everyone got to see family and had a good one. All is good. I just took the truck for a 7 mile ride . It runs a whopping 165-175 going down the road. Runs about 180 when sitting still- I let it idle for ever and it still runs cool. Boy do I like this. Between the new radiator, and the electric fan it seems to be all good . Now I gotta fix all the squeaks , and the cab corners.But its good to be able to use it again.
LMD