The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
WH0DAMAN

Replacing rear wood floor with pickup bed floor?

Has anybody every replaced the wood floor in a 67-72 burb with the floor from a pickup bed? My wood floor in my 70 burb is toast & I would much rather have metal back there. I found a 69 pickup bed floor that is in great condition & thought this might be a stronger option. @ $100.00 it's also cheaper than I can buy the metal for.
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
ThreeQtr

Re: Replacing rear wood floor with pickup bed floor?

Not exactly what you requested, but here was a discussion on bed floors in suburbans/panels. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=443507
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
WH0DAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQtr View Post
Not exactly what you requested, but here was a discussion on bed floors in suburbans/panels. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=443507
Thanks ThreeQtr. Not quite what I am thinking but it gives me more options. I'm planning on completely taking out the wood & making it metal. Wood is cool though!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
ThreeQtr

Oops ! My bad. I guess I read this to fast . There have been discussions similiar to this- replacing wood with metal floors - but in doing a search I was not able to find them.
I do believe there would be a gap, though. Maybe someone else will come up with more info. Sorry.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
WH0DAMAN

Quote:
Oops ! My bad. I guess I read this to fast . There have been discussions similiar to this- replacing wood with metal floors - but in doing a search I was not able to find them.
I do believe there would be a gap, though. Maybe someone else will come up with more info. Sorry.
The bed floor is bigger than the wood floor so it has to be cut to fit. I dont forsee any gaps. My biggest issue would be where to section the metal floor. I cant just cut off the front & back to fit since there is a 1 inch section at each end that is flat & not ribbed. If I cut off the ends I would have a gap where each rib came to an end. I guess I could cut in the middle & section it there. I'm not sure I am gaining much by switching to metal.

Anybody with ideas?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Personally, I'd stay with the wood floor of the Suburban.
If yours is trashed, then I'd plan to replace it with a good sheet of high quality ply wood.

Doing so is a challenge, but it is possible.

The key is getting all of the carriage bolts out, and then removing the spare tire tub. Once you do that then the piece in front of the passenger side fender needs to be pulled away, it is tongue/grooved into the main piece of plywood floor.

From there you are to "slide" the floor towards the passenger side until it clears the body, then lift up the floor from the rear section and then remove it from the area.

All sounds straight forward eh? I ended up cutting mine out, then putting the new piece in reverse order of how it is "supposed" be removed.

Lots of sealant, road grime, and rust will be holding the old wood floor into place.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
WH0DAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Personally, I'd stay with the wood floor of the Suburban.
If yours is trashed, then I'd plan to replace it with a good sheet of high quality ply wood.

Doing so is a challenge, but it is possible.

The key is getting all of the carriage bolts out, and then removing the spare tire tub. Once you do that then the piece in front of the passenger side fender needs to be pulled away, it is tongue/grooved into the main piece of plywood floor.

From there you are to "slide" the floor towards the passenger side until it clears the body, then lift up the floor from the rear section and then remove it from the area.

All sounds straight forward eh? I ended up cutting mine out, then putting the new piece in reverse order of how it is "supposed" be removed.

Lots of sealant, road grime, and rust will be holding the old wood floor into place.
Thanks Vectorit,

The how is not a problem. I own a body shop & this isnt anything too difficult. What I really wanted to know is if anybody has done a metal floor before. I couldnt find anything online of one that had been done before. Wood would definately be the easier option & I still may go with it, but I was hoping to find somebody that might have done one before.

Thank you for your procedural break down & opinion though. It is definately appreciated!!!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
ThreeQtr

Here was a discussion on METAL floor replacement.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=503606
The edges is /are the gaps I was talking about.
Several of the lowered suburbans put a metal subframe with sheet metal in place.Here is a picture of four wheel drive one gone convertable with a recessed metal floor.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
WH0DAMAN

Quote:
Here was a discussion on METAL floor replacement.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=503606
The edges is /are the gaps I was talking about.
Several of the lowered suburbans put a metal subframe with sheet metal in place.Here is a picture of four wheel drive one gone convertable with a recessed metal floor.
Thanks ThreeQtr,

That yellow truck looks like it is ready to go on safari!!!

Here is an option. Can you imagine keeping this clean?
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
ThreeQtr

Here it is finished and no I would'nt want to keep that other one clean.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
WH0DAMAN

Quote:
Here it is finished and no I would'nt want to keep that other one clean.
Thats a very clean suburban & I am assuming it was made for a specific purpose. I've never understood the open safari trucks. Do you want to make it EASIER for the Lion to eat me?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
1970greenburb

I am alittle late to the conversation but when the lion approach the vehicle you are supposed to say LIKE A GOOD NEIGHBOR STATE FARM IS THERE!
Posted via Mobile Device
1970greenburb is offline   Reply With Quote