The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Cheeseman

drop spindle and axle swap?

I have had mixed findings/information and need some clarification. I have a 69 SWB and in the process of dropping it with spindles/springs up front and will be installing the disk brake set up at that time. Now when I switch to the 5 lug with the new spindles/brake set up, is that going to retain the same overall width that I was originaly at? Also, I will be swapping a 5 lug rear in and doing a disk brake swap on it as well, are the 5 lug rears the same width as the 6 lug? I am just wanting to make sure that if something changes I can account for it or know whats coming. I had read somewhere that there are different width rearends in these trucks, is that correct as well? Thanks.
Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: drop spindle and axle swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
I have had mixed findings/information and need some clarification. I have a 69 SWB and in the process of dropping it with spindles/springs up front and will be installing the disk brake set up at that time.

Now when I switch to the 5 lug with the new spindles/brake set up, is that going to retain the same overall width that I was originaly at?
No.
You will increase the track width

Also, I will be swapping a 5 lug rear in and doing a disk brake swap on it as well, are the 5 lug rears the same width as the 6 lug?
Tricky question.
71-72 5-lug rearends are wider.
You can buy 65-69 conversion axles that will bolt into your narrower '69 housing.
The 1970 model year was 6-lug only.
However some say you could get the narrow or the wide version.
Most 1970 rearends are the wide version with 6-lug axles.

I am just wanting to make sure that if something changes I can account for it or know whats coming.

I had read somewhere that there are different width rearends in these trucks, is that correct as well?
yes.
The 71-72 rearends (and the wide 70 rearends) are 1.5 inches wider.
(3/4" per side wider)

Thanks.
See above,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Also,... Welcome to the board.
My '69 has disc brakes up front with 6-lug aftermarket rotors.
I have 15x7 and 15x8 wheels to help hide the track width difference.

Actually the front track width has always been wider.
Just measure and you will confirm this.
Adding disc brake spindles up front will widen it a little.
Adding drop spindles will widen it slightly more.
(Using CPP Modular spindles will help by not widening the track width as much as conventional spindles)

Add all of this to the fact that you have the narrower '69 rearend housing is what draws your attention to it.

It can all be dealt with using the correct offset wheels or wider rear wheels.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Cheeseman

Thanks Keith for the welcome and respones. I will be using the CPP drop spindles and I have not bought the rear axle yet, so in theroy I could just get the 6 lug fronts and keep my 6 lug factory rear and just convert it to disks easy enough. I do like some of the wheel options in the 5 lug pattern a little better, but staying pseudo true to the year etc I may just keep the 6 lug all around. Now If I did decide to go with the 5 lug swap up front w/ CPP drop spindles and went with a 71/72 rear 5 lug, would that get the track back closer or would I still be needing to have different wheel offsets front and rear?

On a sepereate note, I see you are a fellow Missourian and your location is Mid-MO ,I get to the Columbia/Fulton area fairly often . If you are close to that area and I am down there sometime, I would like to pick your brain on this build and buy ya lunch if you are up for it. My initial vision for this build is sitting at the same stance as your picture.

Thanks again.
Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
Thanks Keith for the welcome and respones. I will be using the CPP drop spindles and I have not bought the rear axle yet, so in theroy I could just get the 6 lug fronts and keep my 6 lug factory rear and just convert it to disks easy enough. I do like some of the wheel options in the 5 lug pattern a little better, but staying pseudo true to the year etc I may just keep the 6 lug all around. Now If I did decide to go with the 5 lug swap up front w/ CPP drop spindles and went with a 71/72 rear 5 lug, would that get the track back closer or would I still be needing to have different wheel offsets front and rear?

On a sepereate note, I see you are a fellow Missourian and your location is Mid-MO ,I get to the Columbia/Fulton area fairly often . If you are close to that area and I am down there sometime, I would like to pick your brain on this build and buy ya lunch if you are up for it. My initial vision for this build is sitting at the same stance as your picture.

Thanks again.
The wider 71-72 rearend will get you closer, but will still need different offset wheels than the front to look correct in the wheel opening.
That's why alot of people run 8's and 10's.
This brings the wheel out to the edge of the fender equally.

To me the conversion to 5-lug is a better option for wheels.
Most 6-lug wheels made now are for the '99-up trucks wth the wrong size center bore and the backspacing is to much for these old trucks.
(the exception is custom order billet wheels)

Send me a PM the next time you are in the area.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
jd7

@ Keith that stance on your truck is perfect not too low but just right
jd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd7 View Post
@ Keith that stance on your truck is perfect not too low but just right
Thanks,... but it is really low up front.
(for a static dropped truck)
The a-arms are only 2.5" off the ground.

Convert to disc brakes.