The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
65truckowner

power steering

I know there is a lot of write ups on this subject but everytime I try to do a search it say fatal error for some reason.The question I have what is the best way to shorten and the steering shaft? I have a 83 chevy front end and the power steering box to put under my 65.
65truckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
lil_sahara450r

Re: power steering

Captan is the MAN when it comes to power steering and disk brakes! PM him and he will hook you up with whatever you need. I have done business with him and I can't say enough about him. Great guy, amazing products, and a wealth of knowledge
Posted via Mobile Device
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
shortbed70

Your wanting to shorten the double d shaft going into the rag joint? I drilled out the factory plastic plug welds and pushed it up to where I needed it, mounted the rag joint to box extended and plug welded back togather
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The original steering column in the '60-'66 trucks is not a double D design that is colapsable. It is a solid 3/4" shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Your wanting to shorten the double d shaft going into the rag joint? I drilled out the factory plastic plug welds and pushed it up to where I needed it, mounted the rag joint to box extended and plug welded back togather
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can reuse the original steering column shaft flange, once you shorten the shaft, bu that requires the use of a drill press and it needs to be welded back to the shaft. The installation instructions show how to do this. An alternative method is to use the tube and flange that I sell. This just slides over the original steering column shaft. Once you have it bolted to the rag joint, you simply drill thru the tube with the shaft inside, and install a thru bolt. It can also be welded at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65truckowner View Post
I know there is a lot of write ups on this subject but everytime I try to do a search it say fatal error for some reason.The question I have what is the best way to shorten and the steering shaft? I have a 83 chevy front end and the power steering box to put under my 65.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_sahara450r View Post
Captan is the MAN when it comes to power steering and disk brakes! PM him and he will hook you up with whatever you need. I have done business with him and I can't say enough about him. Great guy, amazing products, and a wealth of knowledge
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
lil_sahara450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Thanks for the kind words
Just giving credit where it is due. Keep up the great work capt!
Posted via Mobile Device
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: power steering

Quote:
Another "YES" to the Captain:

We've done these several ways. The easiest by far, imo, is the Captain's alternative where he mentions use of original steer. shaft & his end-tube-with-flange. There are no critical measurements regarding length, as his tube just slides to where it finds and settles on the appropriate length--where, as he states you just drill and bolt. We've even found that with use of a high-grade bolt, welding is optional.

Last edited by luvbowties; 11-27-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spell
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
65truckowner

Thanks for the information. How much is the tube with flange?
65truckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: power steering

Quote:
You probably need to PM the Captain; bear in mind, you will need to have your steering box installed properly, FIRST. He also has the adapter, with instructions, to space the box out AND place it in this proper position. When that critical placement is done, you can use the tube/flange simply to connect steering shaft, which is what I was referring to.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are links to most of my for sale threads in my signature line. Here is the one for the power steering box adapter plate.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=332923

The tube and flange is shown in the posts indicated in post #1

Quote: