The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
69GWC

Question Line Lock & brake question.

Has anyone installed a line lock system on there truck to use for a E brake..? Iam thinking Iam going to do this when I install my disc brake equipped Dyana 44 front axle.

My e brake works right now but I allways get nervous about using it and having it stick or freeze and not release.
Iam not thinking I will lock in the linelock and leave for a long time but rather for just short jobs like when hooking up a trailer or launching a boat on the boat ramp, just things like that.

Anyway anyone done this.?

Also on another note, I do not have a power booster just manual brakes, will the disc brake system work fine like this or does it have to have a booster.? I want to get this front diff swap done but after buying all new disc brake components not sure if I have the extra coin for the new booster,master cylinder and pp valve .
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Line Lock & brake question.

Mico Lever Locks have been around for a very long time as a commercial e-brake supplement. They work very well for holding loaded on a hill, at a boat launch or static winching.

http://www.mico.com/products/brake-a...cks/lever-lock
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
69GWC

Right just wondering if anyone had installed one and if they liked it or used it very often.
Thanks for the link.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I used to drive a company truck with a Mico-Lock. It was a long time ago and I'm not sure but I think it was vacuum operated. It worked fine as long as the engine was running but was entirely unacceptable (and illegal & unsafe) as a parking brake if the engine was off, because the vacuum would bleed off and the brake would release.

I didn't check out the link..... maybe better versions exist by now.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
SS Tim

Lets start over.
If you e-brake system is properly serviced and maintained there should be no problem using it. If it needs a new cable or lubrication and adjustment do it.

Then if you need a supplement for say a boat launch where stock e-brakes are not very effective. Then go ahead and install a mechanical Line Lock. We had a Dodge A100 pickup that really benefited from the Mico simply due to its very light rear weight. The tires would just creep on a steep hill with the e-brake engaged.

When doing a disc brake swap you really should do it right. There is a reason that Chevy made power discs standard on all but the lightest C/10s (4x2). Because your truck has manual drums does not mean it is going to work well, with discs, without a booster. The mass of your wheels alone, to me, would make a booster mandatory.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
69GWC

Thats why I asked for other opinions on the brakes,, I felt that doing it without a new booster and MC might be doing it halfa$$ but thought well maybe they came like that at first and it would be fine for awhile. I will just wait till I gather up everything before I swap it over.

On the cables, I have had them freeze up many times in the winter on me (and even on a truck that was only a few months old)and well winter is coming on so this got me to thinking and some sort of line lock system.
Posted via Mobile Device