The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #26
BuiltwithIvy

Re: Overdrive trans or change rearend/gears

the best option for all of the above is honestly both, Ive had multiple tranny's behind 350s in the 66 I owned, of them all I preferred the 700r4 automatic with a rv shift kit(for faster and firmer shifting, which in turn leads to longer tranny life) I see these rebuilt at swap meets all the time for 350-500. I would also change the rear gears to a 3.55 or 3.73 set up and it would drive fantastic all around. I did these swaps when I was 16 with no knowledge whatsoever, so I am sure you can with a little looking around find lots of info on how to do it easily. should be a days work and you can cruise in supreme comfort.
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltwithIvy View Post
I did these swaps when I was 16 with no knowledge whatsoever, so I am sure you can with a little looking around find lots of info on how to do it easily. should be a days work and you can cruise in supreme comfort.
Oh, to be 16 again! It's a day's work for me to jack up the truck, find all the tools, fall under the truck and try to remember why I was there!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #28
BuiltwithIvy

Question Re: Overdrive trans or change rearend/gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Oh, to be 16 again! It's a day's work for me to jack up the truck, find all the tools, fall under the truck and try to remember why I was there!
sometimes it takes me a day to find the jack, only to realize that its already under the truck waiting for me...............
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
mud.man.rj

It's the getting back out from under the truck and getting back up that is so hard then knowing you have to get down there again, it's hard to remember all the parts and tools the first time, haha.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
RManson

First off, someone mentioned a Ford T5. Bad idea. Wrong bolt pattern unless you have a Ford motor in the 'burb.
Find a Camaro T5 at a junkyard or swap meet. I have yet to pay over $200 for one. Open it up and inspect it and make sure everything is kosher. There are websites that go over what to look for, google it and you'll find 'em.
Next you'll want the tailshaft and shift rail from an S10 or similar T5 as this will move the shifter forward of the bench seat, where you'll want it.
Then it's just a matter of having someone put a clutch together (I used McLeod) with the proper pressure plate to mate to the flywheel and a clutch with the proper spline count/size as the T5.
Replace the throwout bearing while you're at it, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and the stock clutch linkage and bellhousing can be reused.
Pretty simple really and if you have any problems or questions, just ask or do a search, there are a bunch of guys on the forum (myself included) that have done the swap that can help.
Here's a link to the story I did in Custom Classic Trucks Magazine:
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...all/index.html
It's not an end all but show's what I did to get one behind the stock 307 in my '68.

Good luck!
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RManson View Post
First off, someone mentioned a Ford T5. Bad idea. Wrong bolt pattern unless you have a Ford motor in the 'burb.
RManson is right, sorry for the misinformation. It's the gears from the 'Stang T5 that are what you're after. Langdon Stovebolt in Michigan builds/built T5's with Camaro boxes, 'Stang gears, and the Sonoma/S10 tail shaft. As I understand it, the Ford gears are a little beefier, but in a daily driver the difference may not be worth the hassle.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Here is what i am doing to my GMC and will do the same on the Burb,

1. Get a 700R4 and get it built correctly to get rid of GM's flaws. I got one done, need #2 (working it)
2. 3.42 in the rear, I just picked up new gears, full installation kit with ALL the bearings for less than $300 dropped off at my door.
3. Figure out how to set up your lock up, alot of info on the net. I have it.
4. Probably will have to get the driveshaft cut, no biggie.
5. Linkage kits out there for sale, a friend of mine is using his stock on on his and no problems so far, may not be an issue.
6. Get the TV cable brackets and adapter for carb or tranny goes bye-bye.....

Probably a few more things, but its not that bad to switch over to OD if you have the funds and mechanical ability.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #33
fourspeedwagon

Thanks All- I appreciate the input. @RManson, I just got my Jan. issue of CCT yesterday- good timing!
I've always heard that the non-world class wouldn't hold up behind a v8. If I don't run it too hard you're thinking it'll be fine? How hard is too hard? (that's what she said)
Haven't seen anything sub $200 but if non-wc is fine that'll open a lot of choices
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #34
justahoby

Smile Re: Overdrive trans or change rearend/gears

I used to run t-5 behind my 383.. world class would hold up longer but not very long... s10 trans would last 2 weeks , and i went and rebuilt an NV 4500.. cant break it but shifts suck for hauling my tush. I run a 383 , nv4500 with a 3.08.. runs good, never broke it yet.
justahoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
longbed67

I think the biggest question to determine is what is his budget... If he is on a very limited budget he could just switch his rear to a 3.07 or 3.08, but taking off and general drive-ability would suck, and fuel econ would suffer even more. However you can pick up a sm435 or np465 4 speed pretty cheap with the granny gear first and the 1:1 final, and with the 3.07 rear swap out you would have good drive-ability, better hwy rpms, a fairly stout tranny, he wouldnt have to swap the trans crossmember or the clutch or any linkages, and all said and done he would have less than $400 in it.

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
65shortbox

For what it's worth, I installed a T5 out of a late 80's V6 S-10. I was told that this would not hold up behind my "mild" 327 in my 65 1/2 ton truck but so far I have not had any problems. I picked up the trans for $100 and found a local shop to set me up with a clutch plate and resurface my stock 4 speed flywheel. As a side note, I DON'T SLAM GEARS OR POWERSHIFT. I mostly cruise around and get on the throttle to red line on occasion. But that is about it. Overall the swap from a muncie to the T5 was very easy and I can go back to the muncie simply by changing the clutch disk/pressure plate. Now, if I had the budget I would prefer the Muncie with GV overdrive but that's a different story:-) Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the T5 swap.
65shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #37
ol_skool_chevy

350 trans 3.50 gear................drive it.

if your just a local driver this is a nice simple set up

if you drive longer distance you might look at a 3.08 gear and 350 trans OR 700r4 and 3.50 gear....

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #38
Codez67Chevy

Question Re: Overdrive trans or change rearend/gears

Ok so I have a 4spd and im sure it has 410 gears in the rear. Top speed 55 to 65 max. So would a NV4500 bolt right up to the old L6? Love that its soo torquy great low end power but no cruising speed.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #39
69chevy lwb

what about the 3speed overdrive manual transmission it would bolt up to his factory column shift and with a little wiring and a overdrive cable you would have 3 speed with an overdive that automatically shifts in and out for passing gear the pre 67 ones have a non syncro first gear with a 4 bolt side cover and the 67 and later have a 7 bolt side cover with syncro first and also share the same transmission case as the saginaw 4 speed so you can change the main shaft and the overdrive unit and have a 4 speed overdrive heres mine its a 61-64 impala trans non syncro first i built a floor shifter for it but decided to go with a stock 3 on the tree instead since no one has them anymore
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #40
justahoby

I had a 93 t5 out of an s10... It held ok but it was with a tow package and internally shared parts with the camaro one. Then it broke... Mild 383 would eat all other s10 units like candy... No poping the clutch or slamming gears. Just pure gas pedal. Put it down .... Outrun a car..... And it would peel all the teeth off second and /or third gear on the countershaft as soon as I would get near peak tourque.... After 8 transmissions I went and got an nv4500. No more t-5
Posted via Mobile Device
justahoby is offline   Reply With Quote