The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
jhart625

ECM/PROM problem, need help

I swapped out my ECM in my 1985 Chevy K10 350 5.7L truck yesterday. I went to auto zone last week and gave them my core and they ordered the correct ECM for my truck. When i got my ECM it said i needed to take out the PROM from my old ECM (which was sent in and i no longer have access to). Wish they would have told me that beforehand but i guess i should have researched into it more and known better.

Anyways, my new ECM does not have a PROM. So my check engine light is constantly on saying code 51. The truck is running fine but i won't be able to pass smog unless i can get rid of that check engine light. I called up the Chevy parts dealer and he told me that i am basically screwed because they no longer make it. He told me my best bet was to go down to a scrapyard and try to buy the computer and hopefully it would work with my truck. He said the most popular PROM that year was "3988 CRD".

Ive heard about people programming these PROMs from a blank one. Is there a website that i could find that they could program one for me? Can anyone help me out or give me ideas as to what i can do and what my options are? Thanks everyone.
jhart625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
kalbert

Re: ECM/PROM problem, need help

About your only option is going to be finding a used PROM from somewhere. I can't imagine a complete ECM with PROM would be more than $45 if you can find one. Try searching car-part.com to find a salvage yard in your area that may have one.

I don't think you can even by new PROM's like that anymore from Digi-Key or any supplier, they are discontinued all together because they're obsolete and not popular enough in the hot rod market. There are a number of places who do custom PROM's for the TPI, TBI, and the turbo Buick ECM's, those PROM's are quite popular and still available. One of the places that programs them may be able to help but it won't be cheap and you may still have to provide a chip to program.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote