The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Seventy

Drift Truck

Just thought I'd post up some pictures of my money pit. I and a friend assembled the truck out of a few, one weekend. Currently running a factory 454 setup out of a 77, brackets/etc. Rebuilt with a mild cam, headers, and a 750 double pumper. Hydroboost brakes, and a 3:73 posi in the rear.

Currently there is a weaky weaky turbo 350 in it now, with a half blown torque converter. Im cruising at a bit more rpm's than I like, and it would be nice to actually drive it somewhere on the highway, so I picked up a LS1 6 speed out of a 99 Camaro.

I also was wanting the truck lower, but my headers hang too low. The only true logical way I could really solve that problem, was with a pair of twin T76 turbo's, and a custom exhaust.

Picked up a RAM billet steel flywheel, because I like to try and ensure my legs and firewall stay intact. Still have to put back a little more cash for a RAM clutch, and pressure plate.

Will be machining a half inch spacer for the engine to bellhousing, and likely incorporating a steel scatter shield.

The truck has working A/C at the moment, but I'm going to be ditching that, and switching the alternator to a smaller low mount Denso unit. Also I'm leaning twoards moving the whole engine forward, instead of cutting the driveshaft.

If I move the engine forward, it allows me to run my turbo exhaust above the frame rail. Also I'm a little fond of the bench seat, and it would bring my shifter forward. The interior of the truck was a very base camper model. There is no trim, and factory plugs in the door sills with no interior lights, carpet delete.

Engine pictured below is just for mockup, the truck is my daily driver. Will just have to deal with a little downtime here soon.

Seventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
bk2life
Account Suspended

Re: Drift Truck

what are you plans for the engine, and the rest of the truck? a twin turbo'd peanut headed gen IV isnt really a good weight wise choice for your title of "drift truck"??

and moveing the motor forward, double bad for weight, move it back about 8 inches should help out alot.

curious as to your chassis/rear end choices as well.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Seventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
what are you plans for the engine, and the rest of the truck? a twin turbo'd peanut headed gen IV isnt really a good weight wise choice for your title of "drift truck"??

and moveing the motor forward, double bad for weight, move it back about 8 inches should help out alot.

curious as to your chassis/rear end choices as well.
Controlled power sliding around corners....weight up front from the big block isnt going to factor much.

A few inches forward wont matter also, and if I went 8 inches back, I'd be cutting the firewall, and/or going to buckets/moving the shifter location.

The rear will get a 4 link after all of this is in.

Hopefully everyone isnt actually taking this post serious as far as actually getting out and professionally drifting, I'm driving sideways down the road most of the time as it is now. It was more of a funny.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
OutlawDrifter

put the turbos on the ls1......

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Seventy

I love big blocks, did I say I had a dumb fkn LS1.....
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Seventy

Unless anyone has anything intelligent to say, dont bother.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy View Post
Unless anyone has anything intelligent to say, dont bother.
Not sure who that's directed at but bk2life made some good points. Don't get where you say you hope no one's taking this post to serious, but then you request intelligent responses. Also Don't get the "dumb fkn LS1" comment either, as that itself isn't a real intelligent thing to say.

Either way, bk2life made some good points. Too much weight up front is going to factor quite a bit if you want to actually drift and have a predictable slide.

If all you want to do is fishtail and spin tires by all means move the engine up 8" and use an iron rat. About all it will be good for is about skinning tires, that's a burnout contest at the county fair not drifting.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
I love big blocks, did I say I had a dumb fkn LS1.....
easy there, let's try and be civil, i thought you had the ls1 and t56 from the f-body, mis-read the post.

try and control your internet anger.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Seventy

See, I forgot that this was a "We tell you what to build" section. And this isnt my first rodeo. Guess a good word or just shutting your holes would be too much to ask. Enjoy.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
kalbert

Quote:
Enjoy.
We will.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
shoob

o_O....so there will be two of us sliding c10's......awesome.

mine will get there eventually, hopefully will be 1uz powered, w58 5 speed iron case.....

its nice to see this. i sold my drift car due to family growth, and then aquired a VIP LS400....that didnt last long. ive had a few mini trucks growing up, and have kinda went back and forth between old school imports and mini-trucks......so when i sold my lexus, i was thinking of the truck game again...all the while my drift itch has been there since i sold my ae86......

for now im just building my truck visually, if im satisfied it will then get transplanted.

btw, look into an FC3 rx7 rack, and a 280z rack.......sh:t works!!!
shoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
shoob

btw.....have you slid the truck at all in its current state? i know you said the torque converter is slipping....just wondering.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
shoob

also dont know how serious you wanna get with it, but MK3 supra IRS subframe is very close to fitting.....

only reason i know this, is because we have a 55' full body dropped, raised bed floor, etc. sitting on a 77' swb frame, AND have the mkIII IRS mocked up.