The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Tank drain uncomfortably low!

I have a 5 gallon tank mounted to a bracket I built under the bed. When the truck is dumped, the drain valve is dangerously close to the deck. Maybe three inches or so from the ground. I've also got a water trap installed between the tank and the valves (my larger concern was water making it through the rest of the system). Do I really need the tank drain? If I take the drain out and put a plug in there, how often will I have to pull it to drain the tank that I'm sure will eventually collect water? What about relocating the drain? Options? Thanks folks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Tank drain uncomfortably low!

It is a good idea to have a tank drain, because water will build up from compressing of the air. Do you have a port that is angled to the side at a 45 degree from the bottom? If so, that would work. Just have about 15 PSI or so in the tank, and most all the water will be pushed out when the drain is opened.

You can do the plug and just remove it every so often. Just make sure to remove the plug when NO pressure is in the tank, or it will shoot out like a rocket. I would say to drain your tank maybe twice a year, but it all depends on how often you drive it also.

Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote