The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
TJ.

Question about wheels and drop (sorry I'm new and australian)

Hey guys, I'm very new to c10's, it's been a dream of mine to own one of these for many years. I finally found a decent one and bit the bullet. I'm from Australia so it's going to be pretty great to have one of these driving around, they are super rare!

Here she is

Now the end goal is to make it look like this one pictured below, except an inch lower at either end.

Okay so here is the problem, since I have no experience with these trucks. I had/have no idea what to actually search for.

I'm sorry if all of this stuff has been repeated, I've maxed out the search button on this forum several times over haha.

It's taken me a few weeks but I've learnt that those rims are Rallye 15 x 10's.
Now what I want to know is; will a 15 x 10 with 5" back spacing (I'm assuming this is offset, we measure it in millimetres over here) fit on the front? Or will I have to go with 4.75" back spacing? And I was planning on using a 255/60/15 tyre all round.

My plan is to go with a CPP 3" & 5" drop kit. I've read in a few threads on here that the drop spindle pushes front hub further out, is this true?

Thank you and sorry again if this question has been asked a thousand time's before, I've tried searching and just keep getting different information.
TJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
yuccales

Re: Question about wheels and drop (sorry I'm new and australian)

Welcome from Northern California. You got a great looking truck there!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Hi T.J. , and welcome. That truck already has a significant drop. It could already have drop spindles on it. Ten inches is a very wide wheel. In my opinion too wide for a 255 tire. The wheel would be much wider than the tread. 275/ 60's would look better. Personally I would go with a smaller wheel, but that's just my opinion.

I'm assuming that you bought it in the USA, and are having it shipped. while looking at the pictures I noticed a few things.

The body lines are off. This is probably because the cab cushions are shot. I'd be concerned, because it's a major job to replace them.

The rocker panels appear to have been replaced. This would make me wonder, how much corrosion was there? The margin at the bottom of the door looks very small. The replacement panels could be poorly located.

The bumper is bent by the turn signal. I'm surprised it wasn't repaired or replaced.

With the amount of work that obviously went into it, things were overlooked. I'm skeptical that it doesn't have other issues.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, because it's a great looking truck. I'm just hoping you don't have too many problems.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwkns View Post
Hi T.J. , and welcome. That truck already has a significant drop. It could already have drop spindles on it. Ten inches is a very wide wheel. In my opinion too wide for a 255 tire. The wheel would be much wider than the tread. 275/ 60's would look better. Personally I would go with a smaller wheel, but that's just my opinion.

I'm assuming that you bought it in the USA, and are having it shipped. while looking at the pictures I noticed a few things.

The body lines are off. This is probably because the cab cushions are shot. I'd be concerned, because it's a major job to replace them.

The rocker panels appear to have been replaced. This would make me wonder, how much corrosion was there? The margin at the bottom of the door looks very small. The replacement panels could be poorly located.

The bumper is bent by the turn signal. I'm surprised it wasn't repaired or replaced.

With the amount of work that obviously went into it, things were overlooked. I'm skeptical that it doesn't have other issues.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, because it's a great looking truck. I'm just hoping you don't have too many problems.

I'm not sure if you caught it or not but I think the first picture and the last two pictures are different trucks. He wants his to end up looking like the one in the last two pics.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I'm not sure if you caught it or not but I think the first picture and the last two pictures are different trucks. He wants his to end up looking like the one in the last two pics.

LockDoc
You're right. I missed that. I like his truck better.

TJ. It looks great the way it is.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

nice truck, i kinda like it the way it sits also.

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
mr48chev

I'm with Jhwkins in that 15 x 10 wheels are probably a bit wide for that truck with what you have planned. That was the standard 80's / 90's style for two wheel trucks that were tricked out a bit around here but it normally puts a fair amount of the tread out far enough so that it slings road debris and water on the sides of the truck along with on fellow travelers. That may not only raise the ire of your fellow countrymen when you sling gravel on them but the local law authorities will probably frown on it also.
Also it isn't the look that most guys are going for now. While there is that cadre that still hangs on to the "gotta have really WIDE wheels" and tires on all four corners the look has luckily faded in favor of wheel tire combos that are a bit more practical in the past few years.

This is my truck with 16x8 wheels with 245 75 16 tires. It isn't the show truck look you want and I'm not suggesting it but showing it for you to see where an 8 inch custom wheel sets out in the wheel well.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
TJ.

Here is another pic I found of the rims, he seems to fit a 10" wheel up front pretty well?

TJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
67ctener

Nice truck and welcome
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote