The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
craig32

For something as easy to work on as old trucks. . .

. . . people seem to go out of their way to make it difficult!
When I bought my truck two years ago, it had a 4WD unit from a Blazer that I'm taking out, piece by piece. First it was the front axle, in with the stock model. Got rid of the cheezy column as well then, put the ignition back in the dash, dimmer back on the floor, stock MC.
So I still have the transmission/transfer case in there. I originally bought another transmission just like it, (SM465?) but without the TC or crossmember mounts. Apparently, I won't be using that since the PO sawed out the bell mounts for no apparent reason.
So then I bought a 93 5 speed thansmission, (NV3500) which has a one piece bell like an automatic with a hydraulic clutch, which I need to change to, which I admit is my own doing. It doesn't seem like the factory 'push pedal' is going to work, so I got what I think I will need to mount a 'swing pedal', with which to run the MC. Although it will be a little more work, I can handle it. It will also take care of the 'no bell mounts problem' I mentioned earlier. Maybe I'll need a different crossmember, maybe not - we'll see how it lines up.
So the other day I crawl under the truck, sizing things up, and I see for some reason, between the 70's 400 engine and the 70's transmission, is an OLDER BELL HOUSING! Cast iron, with side mounts. The truck was originally a standard, but a six cyl, so it's not the original. I could see the idiot PO sawing out the mounts if he was going to something that would interfere, but it's the same thing!!
Not the worst part though - it also has a bell mounted starter!! So I will need to get a block mounted starter, to use with the newer trans, but it looks like the idiot might have ground part of the original starter mount off!!
Aside from all of that, the factory is still on my side! The clutch is the same as the one in it, so it doesn't matter if the 400 flywheel is different, I don't need to change it - all 3 transmissions have the same input shaft. A 93 transmission will still bolt to a 70's block, no problems there either.
Needless to say, the LAST thing I do will be to cut the driveshaft!!
Anyone else run into this, or similar?

Thanks for listening.

Craig
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote