The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Mad Viking

71 C20 Custom Camper lowering??

My dad gave me last year his 71 C20 Custom Camper that he bought brand new in 1971. I want to lower it, either a 4/6 or 5/7. The truck has a leaf spring rear suspension. I want to keep the truck with the full 3/4 ton capabilities because I do use it as a truck for hauling material and towing my 24' boat.

I've read all sorts of posts on lowering a 3/4 ton and have seen all sorts of ways to lower the truck. I would like to get a good consensus on what I should do.

I've seen that Airbagit has 3/4 ton drop spindles that I would use for the front with some lowering springs. I've read about cutting the springs but I don't think that's the better way to go.

In the rear I've read of a few ways to go. I can do an axle flip and c-notch the frame. I can pull a couple of springs and install air over leaf bags from Ride Tech. Or, I can remove the leaf springs and install trailing arms.

I would like to make this cost effective while maintaining functionality. I have a lead on a good set of used trailing arms for $125. The Ride Tech air over leaf bags are $250 for the set. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Stupid is as Stupid does" - Forrest Gump
Mad Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 71 C20 Custom Camper lowering??

Stay away from airbagit they are known for making total trash.Look around performanceonline.com i know they have drop spindles for it and a drop shackle that will get lower.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote