The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
ScottH

Differences in crankshafts between auto vs stick?

A friend is having a problem installing a pilot bearing in a pontiac 428 engine. Local parts stores tell him there is a difference in the crank shaft between those made for an automatic vs those made for a manual trans.

Can anyone confirm that this may be his problem? Basically after installing a bronze pilot bearing the manual input shaft will not go into the center hole (did prior to installing pilot bearing). The bearing went in the crank, but was REALLY tight from what he said.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

The pilot bearing should be really tight. Is it possible he knicked up the rear surface of the pilot bearing a little? Maybe there's a small burr that's keeping the input shaft from going into the bearing? Did he check to see if the pilot bearing fit on the input shaft before he installed the bearing in the crank? As far as I know, the cranks should be the same, but I can't be 100% sure.

ttt
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have run across 2 different pilot bushings for the sb chev.....one for the factory stick, & 1 for a auto to stick conversion. Not many of the autoparts guys know about the difference, unless they have been around for a few yrs. even so, the difference is aprox .030, & you would not be able to drive the wrong bushing into the crank. Im not sure what they did on the Poncho's, but on the chevs, I think it may have been a tolerance issue(the hole was a little oversized, & it didnt really matter if the crank was to be used with an auto trans behind it?) good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:34 AM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

whatever you dont hammer the crap out of the crankshaft, that is a very very bad thing to do

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Frank_Zeller

He should be using a bearing not a bushing.
Request one for a 69 Firebird with 400. I have The part number some where if he cant find one.

I've heard of some later model Pontiac cranks not having the hole finished out completely. But none of the early stuff. Pontiac used the same crank for std's and automatics.

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
Hotrodhenryj
Truck Farmer

Are you trying to put the trans in with the clutch in or just checking to see after installing the bushing. If the clutch is not lined up correctly it could give the indication that its not going into the bushing. The best tool to do the alignment is an old input shaft of the same demensions.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
ScottH

Thanks to all for your replies and info. The input shaft was tested prior to installing the pilot bearing and it fit fine. The bearing that he bought was from a local parts store for his application.

Any other thoughts, ideas, observations ?

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

if you dont find any other solutions, you might check for burrs as 68 stepside suggested......& also make sure there is a good chamfer on the lead in edge of the hole. I think I would "mike up" the hole & the OD of the bushing, & if needed have a little skinned off the Od of the bushing. You shouldnt need more than about a .002 press fit on the bushing. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote