The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
c10boob

Fuel Leak

I hadn't started my truck for a couple weeks because I've been working on the suspension and it can't be driven (due to some wanna' be thug shooting out my tire)

Anyways, I started it up today and it leaked gas EVERYWHERE from around the rear of the carburetor. I immediately shut the truck off when I noticed. After shutting it off I noticed a 90 degree angle tube at the rear of the intake manifold and it had smoke coming out of it.

I realize this is probably something simple, and apologize for not knowing what this tube is - but I'm new and ignorant on these 350's still!

Any ideas on what's going on?
c10boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
c10boob

Re: Fuel Leak

Here's some pics:

Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Vacuum port? If so, it should be connected to something, or capped.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
c10boob

I'll cap it. It's been exposed like that since I first bought the truck a couple months ago.

Any idea why smoke would come bellowing out of it?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Probably just vapors etc from inside the intake manifold. Hard to say what all was going on in there with the carb leaking gas.... might even have been a little something coming back past valves when you shut it off.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
rdkuffel

I believe that vacuum port is for the connection to the transmission and/or power brakes on my truck - you may want to check if there is a vacuum line which needs connecting.
rdkuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
c10boob

I'll check it out to see if anything needs connected, but power brakes would make sense being that my truck doesn't have them.

Thanks for the help! I was having trouble finding the answer in my Haynes book (probably since the intake manifold is aftermarket).
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
bk2life
Account Suspended

there is a metal line directly below it plug it in. done. that is your trans modulater vacuum line from the pics.

whats the deal with the fuel leak?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
there is a metal line directly below it plug it in. done. that is your trans modulater vacuum line from the pics.

whats the deal with the fuel leak?

yep connect that metal line with the short rubber hose onto the 90* nipple it its for your trans
if you've adjusted the carb to make it run right then you'll have too redo it cause their was a vacum leak when you did it. if you didnt touch the carb then dont worry about it.

you could have dirt stuck in the needle and seat keeping the float open and flooding the engine(smoke vapor coming out of the tube and gas leaking out the carb)take the plastic handle of a scewdriver and tap around the top of the front of the carb(near where the fuel line goes in) while you have it running it could clear the dirt.

oh yhea unless you removed that choke cable for the pic if you didnt it needs to be put back in the clamp about 2" directly behind where its connected too the carb it will work better
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
c10boob

The trans vacuum line is hooked up to the nipple (there are two, and it's hooked to the bottom one but hard to see in the pics I posted). As for the choke cable I disconnected it on purpose due to it not working right and I haven't fixed it yet.

As for the fuel leak I haven't determined the cause yet. I was just confused as to how the two (fuel leak and smoke from the valve) were related.

It's a high pressure leak, I could hear it when I started the truck. I shut it off because I was afraid it was going to catch fire (that and it was quickly wasting the most valuable liquid on Earth, gas).

I'll try starting it up again in the next couple days and see if I can locate exactly where the leak is coming from, and will post back.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10boob View Post
It's a high pressure leak, I could hear it when I started the truck.
Fuel shouldn't be under high pressure in the carb.... maybe you were hearing the hiss of the vacuum leak which would be very noticeable.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
c10boob

I started it today and located the leak - which is just coming from one of the float adjustment screws on my carb so it's an easy fix.

No hissing now. I'm not sure what was causing that. And there is also no smoke coming from the valve on the intake manifold.

My guess is maybe since I didn't notice the fuel leak right away the other day fuel leaked near that valve and caused the problem? I really don't know.