The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
75chev4x4

spring swap problems

Hey guys, I'm doing a leaf spring swap on my 75 k20 from the 2" lift springs I had on it to the stock springs. I did the rears last week and the stock springs that I picked up at the junkyard off a 76 k20 fit great on my trucck. So tonight I decided to do the front springs from the lift to the stock springs. These front springs I got on cl and where said to be off a 83 k20 suburban and they are the 3 leaf springs. Problem is I got my lift springs off and put these on and I'm having trouble getting everything to fit back together. By this I mean if I get one side center pin into the axle perches the other side the spring pack center pin is like 1/4 inch from sliding into the hole on the axle. It acts like the its too wide for the axle or something. Then I unbolted the springs at the swing shackle and got the pack center pins in both holes on the axle and snugged down the ubolts to hold them there and went to put the swing shackle back on the springs and it bows out on one side. It bows the swing shackle to the outside of the truck a bit. So for tonight I just got it back on the tires and put it in the driveway because I know something isn't right here I just cant figure it out tonight. As far as I know the leaf springs on the k20 trucks and suburbans are the same so I'm not sure if its a problems with these springs or what??? Anyone got an idea or had this happen before? Thanks for reading all this, just really frustrated tonight..... also measured my lift springs I took off and they are 2 1/2" and the stock ones I bought are 2 5/8" not sure if this could cause my problem?
75chev4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
75chev4x4

Re: spring swap problems

Anyone?
75chev4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote