The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
tomis blair

V8 to straight 6 swap

Anyone do a V8 to I6 swap? I know everyone goes the other way but I like the look and coolness factor of a I6 over a V8. My 350 is gonna get pulled this spring and I think im leaning more towards the 292 straight 6.
tomis blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: V8 to straight 6 swap

Check with some local truck clubs or some guys that do a lot of truck stuff. Maybe go around to some parts stores and if there are any old trucks or cars around the side or out back [like where the workers would park] go in and ask around. Also go to some body shops and oil change places and some places like pep boys and the like again look for the old cars and trucks. Not only is this a great way to meet new car/truck friends but also find some hard to find stuff and also find some after work helpers like body men and mechanics to work on your ride if you are to busy unable or whatever. This might be a good way to find the swap or maybe even if someone wanted a smallblock bad enough trade it out themselves. Back in my younger days if I had a 6 and wanted a v-8 I would have done a changeover for someone to get a v-8. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
tomis blair

Sorry I wasn't asking for someone to do it... I can do the swap. I was curious if anyone had gone from a v8 to a straight 6. If so how do they like it. I know less power but more cool factor.
tomis blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
truckster

I owned a 70 longbed that a previous owner had swapped from a 350 to a 292. It sounded like a UPS truck accelerating.

My 79 Camaro has a 250 straight six in it, and it goes OK, but it's nowhere near as quick as a V8. That's all right though, because my son drives it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote