The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
toddabrown

63 and 66 similarities

i bought a 66 longbed stepside this summer and just landed a 63 shortbed stepside for free today. I am hoping to us some of the 63 parts to work on my 66. looks like the hood and many other parts match up. does anyone know what else will work?
toddabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
toddabrown

Re: 63 and 66 similarities

the 63 is from the original owner. it has not been hacked up, but does have some rust and damage. the engine is a straight 6 230. it was running when it was last driven in 1994. what do i have to do to get that engine going again?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
hugger6933

Drain all fluids pull the spark plugsspray PB Blaster into the spark plug holes to let sit pull the valve cover spray everything down up top. Take the carb off and tear it down clean it up. Take the cap off the dist and clean gap the points. After the motor has set a couple of days[if you can wait that long] go ahaed and try to turn the crank nut on the bottom pulley. Once it has soaked long enough to turn over if it was stuck you are ready to refill the fluids and then some fresh gas and a hot battery to it with a clean carb and gas coming from a clean container like a gas jug and fresh points so that fire is not a problem it should start. If it is really gummy inside the motor you may want to put some diesel or kerosene in the crakcase [I have filled a motor up to the top of the valve cover]and started it and run at idle for a very few min. Then drain . Then add new oil and filterit should clean it up pretty good inside. Now far as parts that change hood and bed and fenders maybe. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

most of the cab and dash related stuff will be different, 66 used a different (66 only) e-brake other than that there will be a lot of interchange with the rest.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
toddabrown

thanks for the directions. i had originally thought about selling the frame and excess parts that I dont need for the '66 as scrap, but now i am thinking maybe that other people might have a use for those parts.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Please don't scrap any parts you don't want. There is bound to be someone that would be plenty happy to buy what parts you have. Especially if you have a title for the cab and frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddabrown View Post
thanks for the directions. i had originally thought about selling the frame and excess parts that I dont need for the '66 as scrap, but now i am thinking maybe that other people might have a use for those parts.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
toddabrown

yes, now that we have though about it we will definitely make the surplus truck available.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
toddabrown

well we pulled some parts today and there is a lot of rust. it looks like the engine and tranny are good, although the engine hasnt run since '94. the frame looks good. we pulled the wiring harness out to work on the 66. the hood swap is started as well as cowl.