The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
jim-bob

lowering a 2500??

..I'm wanting a 4wd or 2wd 2500 and wondering if the body can be lowered to a standard height like the 1/2 tons so I will be able to reach over into the bed and get in and out of the cab easier.. Thanks
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
MadManAndrew

Re: lowering a 2500??

They're pretty low stock? I mean, mine has a small lift and I still don't have to get "up" into it. It's the perfect level for me to sit into. I'm a pretty big guy but I inagine it'd be about the same for a smaller guy with a stock truck. Most lowering companies do make kits for 2500's though, so it's not really big deal finding a kit if you really want to go that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
They're pretty low stock? I mean, mine has a small lift and I still don't have to get "up" into it. It's the perfect level for me to sit into. I'm a pretty big guy but I inagine it'd be about the same for a smaller guy with a stock truck. Most lowering companies do make kits for 2500's though, so it's not really big deal finding a kit if you really want to go that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
..Thanks for the reply MadMan..I thought I was bout average at 5'9"..and I can barely reach over into the bed of a 2500 let alone get anything out and have to pull up in cab by strn whl..I had 2007 Silverado single cab 2500 2wd stock bought for me without me trying it out so I didnt know how high it was til it was brought home..I SOLD it because of the height! So I dont know what I'm doing wrong, could be my old age What actually is a lowering co? Thanks again Andrew
Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
MadManAndrew

I'm 6'2" so maybe there is a noticable difference. I don't really know where to get lowering kits, not really my department. Lol
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

I also am average height and not a lifted truck fan so I looked into lowering my 2000 GMC 4wd. Stock suspension with larger 285 tires, came with them. I am breaking the corner of the driver seat down by having to lean on it so much getting in and out. It's harder for the wife to get in and I do not want nerf bars or boards on it so I slid under there to see what I could do to it to get a couple of inches down. I cranked the front torsion bars down for a couple of inches and removed the 2" blocks in the rear and it achieved what I wanted but it was riding on the front bumpstops and after a couple of days I put it back and decided the better way to do this is with lowered front spindles. It is documented in the following thread.There have been a couple of threads about lowering 4wds the last couple of years like this one. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422600

No threads for the 3/4 tons in particular that I am aware of although I believe there are suspension parts for them.
Bell Tech, McGaughys and others sell lowered suspension parts. Use the forum search feature above for "dropped suspension" or "lowered suspension kits" and you are bound to find other threads that might be of help.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I also am average height and not a lifted truck fan so I looked into lowering my 2000 GMC 4wd. Stock suspension with larger 285 tires, came with them. I am breaking the corner of the driver seat down by having to lean on it so much getting in and out. It's harder for the wife to get in and I do not want nerf bars or boards on it so I slid under there to see what I could do to it to get a couple of inches down. I cranked the front torsion bars down for a couple of inches and removed the 2" blocks in the rear and it achieved what I wanted but it was riding on the front bumpstops and after a couple of days I put it back and decided the better way to do this is with lowered front spindles. It is documented in the following thread.There have been a couple of threads about lowering 4wds the last couple of years like this one. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422600

No threads for the 3/4 tons in particular that I am aware of although I believe there are suspension parts for them.
Bell Tech, McGaughys and others sell lowered suspension parts. Use the forum search feature above for "dropped suspension" or "lowered suspension kits" and you are bound to find other threads that might be of help.
Thanks Boog..I will check all this out..havent bought the truck yet but wanting a 3/4 ton 4wd, IF, i was able to lower it..