The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
JJH Jimmy

87 Fuel Sender Question

Does anyone know if an 87 fuel sending unit uses the same O-ring and lock collar as a 72 Jimmy sending unit? I would like to take an 87 sender and modify it for my 72 tank for a ls swap. Thanks in advance.
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
mej005

Re: 87 Fuel Sender Question

The spectra brand sending unit part # gm11c has the barb fittings on it. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I think the sending units for the 87-91 blazer have the o-ring fittings, but I'm not 100% sure.
mej005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
High ho silverado

I wouldn't use the 72 tank, u need a tank with the baffles in it to keep the pump in the fuel, I've been down that route and it don't work. Unless u keep the tank atleast half full all the time. If ur keeping the 72 tank I'd use an external fuel pump.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 Chevy 3/4 ton ex cab 454: work horse
00 Chevy camaro: daily driver
83 Chevy 3/4 ton: dads old rig
High ho silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
JJH Jimmy

I was planning on building a sump tray for the pump, but after looking at the 87 sender i don't think that it will fit in the original 72 sender opening. Now i am considering using the Tank Inc. pump module assembly (PA-2) and modifying it to fit my tank. The Tank Inc. web site says it is only good for tanks 10.5" deep and my tank is close to 15" deep so i will have to lengthen it and recess the top of my tank for it to fit. Has anyone used these before? Did it work good? How is the quality? My original 72 tank is in very good shape and I don't want to spend big money on a new fuel cell. I also have a custom fuel tank skid plate that i would most likely have to modify if i were to put a different tank in. I am putting a 2003 5.3 in my Jimmy. Thanks for the responses. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote