The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Chris.

maybe a dumb door question

I have a 50 but the doors have vent windows I was wondering is it possible to make these doors solid window easily?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: maybe a dumb door question

You can do it but it would be simpler to swap 47/50 doors onto it and be done with it.

I went into your other threads and it looks like some indeed did swap 51 doors onto your truck as it has the side cowl vent that shows that it is a 50 or earlier cab and should have one piece windows.

If it were me I'd find a nice pair of older doors with the one piece windows, swap them out and then turn around and sell the doors with the vent windows.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-10-2012 at 01:02 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Bierkan

What's the advantage/disadvantage of vent windows? Other than the obvious airflow; I mean is there a mechanical advantage to vents or non-vent doors?

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Bierkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Chris.

well my truck is supposed to have doors w/o vent windows but also all of the vent window equipment is NFG and the replacement one are almost $300.00 each
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
mr48chev

Chris, I'd just wait and work on the rest of the truck to get it in shape and not do anything with the doors right now except maybe strip the outside to bare metal and prime them. Some time by the time you are done with the rest of the truck a pair of doors will show up in good shape for a reasonable cost. This is one of those things you don't get in a rush on right now.

I picked up a pair of nice doors and a pair of fenders and a so so hood for not much more than beer money a couple of years ago when I happened to see a couple of guys getting ready to tie the stuff down on their trailer at the end of a swapmeet. Counting the four unused boat trailer tires and wheels that I got from him I think I handed him 120 bucks for all of it and he gave me the hood. A few months ago I bought a 54 hood and left front fender at an auction for 10.00 each simply because no one else bid against me on them. I am giving the fender to a kid in Arizona who wrecked his truck the first day he bought it and the hood will probably either get used or be hauled to a swap meet sometime. Be patient, keep some cash stashed back so you can jump on something if it shows up and it will happen.

In answer to Bierkan's question. There really isn't an advantage to the ventless windows as you really don't have the greatest airflow in the cab with them but to a lot of us they look a lot better than the doors with the wing windows in them. It's entirely a personal preference thing. The wing windows can direct a lot of air into the cab when they are wide open and catching air though. My slant chopped cab has little airflow though the windows even at 80 mph. There is little or no buffeting from the air like you get in a stock ventless window cab and very little positive airflow. Which is probably a good thing as in the thirty one years since I chopped it it has never had real roll up windows in it and I drove it a number of winters in some real cold weather with lexan windows mounted in it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Chris, I'd just wait and work on the rest of the truck to get it in shape and not do anything with the doors right now except maybe strip the outside to bare metal and prime them. Some time by the time you are done with the rest of the truck a pair of doors will show up in good shape for a reasonable cost. This is one of those things you don't get in a rush on right now.

I picked up a pair of nice doors and a pair of fenders and a so so hood for not much more than beer money a couple of years ago when I happened to see a couple of guys getting ready to tie the stuff down on their trailer at the end of a swapmeet. Counting the four unused boat trailer tires and wheels that I got from him I think I handed him 120 bucks for all of it and he gave me the hood. A few months ago I bought a 54 hood and left front fender at an auction for 10.00 each simply because no one else bid against me on them. I am giving the fender to a kid in Arizona who wrecked his truck the first day he bought it and the hood will probably either get used or be hauled to a swap meet sometime. Be patient, keep some cash stashed back so you can jump on something if it shows up and it will happen.

In answer to Bierkan's question. There really isn't an advantage to the ventless windows as you really don't have the greatest airflow in the cab with them but to a lot of us they look a lot better than the doors with the wing windows in them. It's entirely a personal preference thing. The wing windows can direct a lot of air into the cab when they are wide open and catching air though. My slant chopped cab has little airflow though the windows even at 80 mph. There is little or no buffeting from the air like you get in a stock ventless window cab and very little positive airflow. Which is probably a good thing as in the thirty one years since I chopped it it has never had real roll up windows in it and I drove it a number of winters in some real cold weather with lexan windows mounted in it.
I agree. I will be waiting to do anything with the doors the main reason I ask is because there is a guy on another forum selling all the vent window framing except driver side glass frame which I think is the only salvageable part on mine for a good price but I wanted to have the correct glass for my truck if I could easily put it in my doors a good friend of mine is a union glazier that works at a replacement shop so I can get all of my glass cut for the price of the glass