The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Mstl67custom

Daily driving, rochester or holley?

What do you recommand for daily driving, my engine is a 327 with a comp cam 327/350hp camshaft. I already have a bunch of rochester and a holley 600cfm vacuum secondary. The holley will probably use more fuel. What do you think will be my best all around bet. The intake is a edelbrock performer and can fit both carb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mstl67custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Daily driving, rochester or holley?

Properly tuned now those will be the key words here throughout this thread, The quadajet or quadajunk as lots refer to them as will make a very good choice for all around economy. With its small primarys for around town part throttle driving it will sip on the fuel UNTIL you kick in the thrash can sized secondarys. My experiance with the holleys are that they need to be tuned more often to keep a consistant tune. Now not to muddy the waters any more so but I prefer the Edelbrock to ride on you can usally set them and ride. I have often told those who have asked me if you want to ride get Edelbrock if you want to tinker and race get a Holley. All Three or both in the instance of the original question are good the qj is a little more quirky getting the tuning down but once you have it set it pretty much stays set up and you can ride worry free for a long time. I guess I went through all that to say I might would go with the quadajet. Do you know the cfm ratings on these two carbs? that might influence the choiceas well
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
MARKDTN

Another vote for Quadrabog. Properly built, you can get performance and economy. Now if it was me, I would swap to electronic fuel injection.......
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Q jet without ? Great carbs
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Stickman

Q Jet for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
68Stepbed

Since the matter has been brought up, I personally have never had any luck with Q-jets or Edelbrocks. Ever since I switched to Holleys, I've had great performance, decent mileage, and I never had to tinker with them. Holleys got a bad name due to the fact that they've been around so long. That means somebody's brother's cousin had one on his truck/car for years and it ran perfect, so they put it on their truck/car and it ran like crap or always had problems. This is usually due to the fact that they're not properly tuned for that particular engine, or the carb is plain old wore out and needs a rebuild.

Every Edelbrock I ever had or have ever worked on would never hold a tune, and always had to be tinkered with. They never would work properly.

I personally never had a Q-jet that worked properly either. This is also because they were just wore out, and needed rebuilt or they were the wrong application. Lots of guys here, swear by them, though, so I'm not knocking them or saying they're bad, just personally never dealt with them.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstl67custom View Post
The holley will probably use more fuel.
a 600cfm edelbrok and a 600cfm holley will use the same in theory.

but if you have several carbs use them. no one person can tell you what will work best for your combo.

are you just guna put it on and hope for the best? or you guna get it dyno-tuned? because just puttin on a carb and goin is bad. you gota set up timing, air/fuel/ rpms/ jets, timing again/ check the plug heat range etc etc etc..

so what is the best carb to choose? which one are you going to have enough time to make work properly?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Mstl67custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Another vote for Quadrabog. Properly built, you can get performance and economy. Now if it was me, I would swap to electronic fuel injection.......
Yeah... EFI is not in the budget rigth now but a ls swap maybe a option for me in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Mstl67custom

Thank for the input, I think the best way to see will be to try them both. I'll start with the Q-jet, tuning it with the engine and see if i'm satisfied with the result then maybe if one day I have the time, i'm gonna put the holley on to see the difference
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Duncan and son

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubscrub View Post
q jet without ? Great carbs
posted via mobile device
x2
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote