The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
jks67ss396

Better handling-without the drop?

Hi guys

I just picked up a 71 C10 - ocre, my favorite color His name is Earl

I also have a 67 Camaro. Ive done a few things to the camaro to make it stop, steer and handle better... solid mounts, poly bushings, bigger sway bar and an 89 IROC camaro steering box (love that box)

Now, no offense to anyone, but i like my trucks sitting stock height or a little higher, but Id also like it to handle and steer a bit better than from the factory... without dropping it.

I'll need new tires, shocks, springs and a steering box eventually anyway, so i wanted to know:

1)Is there anything like the iroc steering box that will bolt in and give me much better steering? I saw a toyota box swap for the 50s trucks.. Anything like that for my 71?

2)Any sway bar mods or additions that i could use from newer trucks?

3)Ive heard that air shocks do handle great, but can i get them in stock height or even taller versions?

I dont need 1g+ cornering. I dont need race car handling. Just a little better than stock. Maybe better than my 05 silverado?? Is that possible??

Im open to suggestions that i dont know of too.

I think im gonna have fun with this old truck
jks67ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Re: Better handling-without the drop?

Find a 73+ 1 1/4" bar at the junkyard. Or you can get an even bigger aftermarket bar.

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Honestly i wouldn't use air shocks most who use them to raise the back up because the factory springs have sagged.Have you looked around on hotchkis they make c10 parts now http://www.hotchkis.net/ .
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
jks67ss396

i know hotchkis has nice stuff, but i think all their stuff is lowered ride height.. at least it looks like it??
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

One of the keys to handling is a lower center of gravity. The only way to get a lower center of gravity is to lower the height of the frame, which in turn, lowers everything else.

I would start with a beefier sway bar. If you're springs are old, replace them. Old worn out springs don't produce the correct spring rate.

The mass produced parts just aren't being made to make stock trucks handle better, everything that makes a better ride will lower the truck.
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
jimmydean

You can stiffen the ride and that will improve handeling to some degree, but getting low is important to handeling. If it wasn't, my Corvette wouldn't have speed bump issues.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
jks67ss396

i agree... im just not looking to lower the truck. so ill start with better springs at stock height, poly bushings, shocks and maybe the newer swaybar

i really dont expect it to handle like the camaro. thats why i have the camaro

thanks guys
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks67ss396 View Post
i agree... im just not looking to lower the truck. so ill start with better springs at stock height, poly bushings, shocks and maybe the newer swaybar

i really dont expect it to handle like the camaro. thats why i have the camaro

thanks guys
The beauty of it is it COULD handle BETTER than the Camaro with the right parts from the vendors on this site.

Take a look at the No Limit C10 "Hellboy", that truck smokes cars on a daily basis.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
SCOTI

Big block spec'd front coils will have more spring rate @ the same height as a sbc spec'd spring.
The previously recommended HD front sway bar from a 3/4 or 1-ton truck w/poly bushings works well or a larger aftermarket bar w/swivel style links for less bind.
Swap the steering box for a spec built unit. One board member that knows his way around these trucks speaks highly of his recent RedHead Steering Gears C10 box swap. Check out his comments on his build thread (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...444746&page=35).
Better/tuned high pressure gas shocks. I really like Bilsteins....
Rebuild everything.
Consider swapping in some of Porterbuilts tubular a-arms (Delrin based bushings & they offer much improved caster). No drop as a direct swap.

That should definitely get you started in the right direction....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
BMERDOC

Not to plug my alignment thread (its gotten dusty from lack of use anyway) but for Heaven's sake get an alignment that DOES NOT use the stock specs. Consider doing the front lower control arm Caster mod.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
kieth

One thing no one has talked about is weight, Man I moved my fuel tank behind the rear axle, when it is full the truck rides and handles lots better, when it is getting low the truck starts to handle and ride lots worse......It is so different that I am considering moving the battery back.......I have air bags on the rear only (2600) they allow you to control the ride height easily and if you are going to haul a load just air them up to handle it. My truck rides great (lowered front spindles 2.5") and installation of a new adjustable pahard rod made a lot of difference in the handling.....

66gmc

91 suburban front end

6 cylinder front springs

sway bar 1-1/4"

2.5" drop spindles

rear stock trailing arms

2" lowering blocks

2600 air bags no notch

long panhard rod

new shocks all around

It rides good and handles much better than it used to.....

9"a wide 17" Cragars
265/75/17 michilens rear

255/65/17 michelins front

it sits lower than stock but the rear can be adjusted....with the roads around here I would not lower this truck any more, but it has ground clearance and a good ride......

ps I am going to add a notch for clearance, relocate the shocks, and add a sway bar for better handling...
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
jimmydean

Keith, that's why I am putting as much back there as possible. My fuel tank, air tank, 2 batteries, 2 compressors and some steel mounts to hold everything. Then I will move the engine as close to the firewall as possible, but the extreme dropmember puts the motor up in the frame, but the frame is a lot lower.

The issue with any truck and handling is the empty bed and where the driver is positioned. In the Vette I am inches off the ground and right in front of the back wheel. My truck is a LWB, so the axle is quite a ways back with a lot of empty space in between. While it's best to get the weight centered, having what little weight I have as far back as possible helps offset the engine and driver position.

Rob has been a huge help in my design. While my truck will never out perform my Vette, it's noce to know it will out perform 95% of the trucks on the street and certainly be fun to drive in the twisties.

I am playing with the idea of making my truck a mid-bed. Take about a foot out between the back wheel and cab. Who knows...
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed