The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
alwaysbroken

12 valve swap into 79 chev= chummy HELP

hey guys been awhile since i have posted anything on this bored.. but after playing with propain and now gas im going to swap a 12 valve out of a 89 dodge into my 1979 gmc 3\4 ton long box 4x4.

there are a few things i need to know bout the swap.

1.what petal assembly would i use in the cab?

2. motor mounts? who makes them?

3.should i bother boxing the frame?

i will end up upgrading the front diff so dont need to worry bout that or just truss this one (dana44)

all help well appreciated
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
PotOGoldKustoms

Re: 12 valve swap into 79 chev= chummy HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbroken View Post
hey guys been awhile since i have posted anything on this bored.. but after playing with propain and now gas im going to swap a 12 valve out of a 89 dodge into my 1979 gmc 3\4 ton long box 4x4.

there are a few things i need to know bout the swap.

1.what petal assembly would i use in the cab?

2. motor mounts? who makes them?

3.should i bother boxing the frame?

i will end up upgrading the front diff so dont need to worry bout that or just truss this one (dana44)

all help well appreciated
When I did my swap it was an automatic. So I got a pedal assembly from a 79 or 80 truck and installed that. I left it loose cause I had to pull it out many times. I actually used the clutch master from the dodge and took the braket for it off of the dodge pedal assembly welded that to the chevy assembly. I had to do this cause the firewall is so weak, that I did not want to have issue later. This causes all of the stress to be put on the actual pedal assembly which is more than stron enough to take it. I got a hiem joint and some tubing and welded it to the dodge master after trimming the end off so I could mount it to the pedal. I was able to do most of this outside of the truck on a bench which is why I left it loose. Made it much easier to drill th hole in the pedal to mount the heim jint through. Been driving it this way for a few months now. No problems or developing issues so far. For the resivoir I just whipped up a small braket that kept it over to the side next to the hydroboost unit. Hop any of this helps. I would have loved to have some help when I was doing mine. Lots of trial and error.
PotOGoldKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
v30crewcab

I used the 85--87 hydraulic pedals. made my own adapter to use the dodge master.
I used the stock chevy motor mounts, and built a new crossmember out of square tube. also made my own motor mount buckets. mine is just like tndiesel conversions setup.
I don't see any reason to box the frame. mines been fine for 7 years.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Only two places now sell the crossmember /motor mounts http://www.tndieselpower.com/site/pr...ember-package/ http://www.autoworldmt.com/Page_11.html but between the two they sell most of everything you could need.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote