The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Repro issues with inside door handles

Just wondered if others have had problems with repro inside door handles. Mine, beautiful BTW, 1966 C10, are too big inside diameter, and do not fit my knurled studs nearly tightly enough. When I attempt to over-tighten the jamb screw to compensate, it is at best still a misfit; and the screw self-loosens. Do not want to use loc-tite or to drill the studs for a make-do solution. Would like to hear from others where they got proper-fitting repros.

Unfortunately, I do not recall where I bought mine from maybe a year before installing, and surely do not want to make the same mistake twice.

I appreciate knowing, from someone's direct experience, a source whose handles "fit".
Thanks, all. And MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you great guys--a VERY great bunch of guys!
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Z POPPY

Re: Repro issues with inside door handles

Substitute the set screws with knurled diamond-pattern tip Allen set screws. Worked for me.
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
travz500

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Just wondered if others have had problems with repro inside door handles. Mine, beautiful BTW, 1966 C10, are too big inside diameter, and do not fit my knurled studs nearly tightly enough. When I attempt to over-tighten the jamb screw to compensate, it is at best still a misfit; and the screw self-loosens. Do not want to use loc-tite or to drill the studs for a make-do solution. Would like to hear from others where they got proper-fitting repros.

Unfortunately, I do not recall where I bought mine from maybe a year before installing, and surely do not want to make the same mistake twice.

I appreciate knowing, from someone's direct experience, a source whose handles "fit".
Thanks, all. And MERRY CHRISTMAS to all you great guys--a VERY great bunch of guys!
sam
well if you cant get them to work out I have a couple of sets of originals laying here if you need some I would do $20 for the pair plus shipping thanks let me know if you would like some just pm me
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Repro issues with inside door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z POPPY View Post
Substitute the set screws with knurled diamond-pattern tip Allen set screws. Worked for me.
Thanks, Z POPPY, for an idea. I just ground one of my setscrews down to a point, and it appears to be working. The free end of the handle still tends to pull out at an angle from the door-panel-plane due to the cylinder-to-stud misfit. Monday, I'll remove the door panels and clean & lube my locking mechanisms to work more freely & hopefully minimize the 'angling' problem.
[[Not gonna do it, but based on successful uses markeb01 has reported with JB weld, I can think of a couple of 'much-too-permanent' fixes!!!]]
Again, thanks for your time and suggestion(s).
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Thats the only issue I had too is the set screws back out over time. On the old original handles had a hex bolt holding them on. That didnt look good, but they stayed on.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote