The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
j3162978

Clean Fire wall

I would like to clean up my fire wall but not really sure what is best way to go about this. For example, how to relocate the heating aparatus. So could someone explain the best way to clean up fire wall and maybe post some pics of their modified fire wall. Thanks. Any help will be appreciated.
j3162978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
BrianPlaster

Re: Clean Fire wall

I'm in the middle of it now / I'm going to get rid of the heat for the sake of cleaning it up

I also have pulled all the wiring from it's ends / just bought all new connectors

rolling on grey metal primer all over firewall , wheel wells, front frame

It's quite looking unreal under the hood these days , it's a stock 307
BrianPlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3162978 View Post
I would like to clean up my fire wall but not really sure what is best way to go about this. For example, how to relocate the heating aparatus. So could someone explain the best way to clean up fire wall and maybe post some pics of their modified fire wall. Thanks. Any help will be appreciated.
Cleaning it up will involve some welding, but if you do it right it looks really good. When I started my truck I was the second person to go through it. The previous owner attempted to put AC in it with junkyard parts and really hacked up the firewall so I had lot's of patching to do. Remove all of the stock stuff then start from scratch. It works best of the engine and front clip are removed. Make cardboard templates and cut your patch panels from 18 ga. sheetmetal. Spot them in as you would any patch panel then groind all of the spots flush. When I did it I did not use any body filler. Plan how you will run your lines carefully. I used a vintage air unit which barely fit under the dash bit it made a clean installation on the firewall.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
bk2life
Account Suspended

I know this is a different body style, but here are the steps:

1. Weld in filler plates, or one big piece as I did on the left side.
2. After all was fitted and checked with engine/exhaust/accessories, motor pulled
3. All wiring/hoses pulled off
4. Fully sandblasted (way easier then degreaser and power washer) best 150 bucks ever..
5. Epoxy primer/body work
6. High build/body work
7. Paint.

What would I have done different? Full piece of sheetmetal across the entire fire wall.. to which I most likely will still do before the motor goes back in, because I am a bit weird on details like that.

bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
j3162978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Cleaning it up will involve some welding, but if you do it right it looks really good. When I started my truck I was the second person to go through it. The previous owner attempted to put AC in it with junkyard parts and really hacked up the firewall so I had lot's of patching to do. Remove all of the stock stuff then start from scratch. It works best of the engine and front clip are removed. Make cardboard templates and cut your patch panels from 18 ga. sheetmetal. Spot them in as you would any patch panel then groind all of the spots flush. When I did it I did not use any body filler. Plan how you will run your lines carefully. I used a vintage air unit which barely fit under the dash bit it made a clean installation on the firewall.
This is exactly what I want to accomplish! Please tell me more about the vintage air unit you installed and also what specifically are the hoses and canister that is on the left side of the firewall. LOOKS AWESOME!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
j3162978

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Here is mine...not completed yet.
The rivets and the copper look really cool. That is copper right?

Last edited by j3162978; 12-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
j3162978

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
I know this is a different body style, but here are the steps:

1. Weld in filler plates, or one big piece as I did on the left side.
2. After all was fitted and checked with engine/exhaust/accessories, motor pulled
3. All wiring/hoses pulled off
4. Fully sandblasted (way easier then degreaser and power washer) best 150 bucks ever..
5. Epoxy primer/body work
6. High build/body work
7. Paint.

What would I have done different? Full piece of sheetmetal across the entire fire wall.. to which I most likely will still do before the motor goes back in, because I am a bit weird on details like that.

Looks super clean, nice job.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
j3162978

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I hope to get my firewall looking as great as y'alls.

Last edited by j3162978; 12-15-2012 at 10:23 PM.