The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
travz500

trying to figure out if my motor has been moved forward

can anyone tell me how far there V-8 motor mounts are back from the radiator cross member just measure from the back of the crossmember to the middle of the motor mounts i think mine has been moved there is a ton of room behind the motor between it and the firewall I have a aftermarket mounting system and I dont like it so I am gonna put in a 87 crossmember and motor mount setup and cut down the top so fits in the frame but i want it as far forward as possible to clear firewall when i put in a 572 down the road sometime its a bare frame now so its time to do all this work I wont be running a fan on the motor will use electric fans on a aluminum radiator has a 350 now and gonna be getting a roller 383 soon as its back from machine shop my truck is a 65 3/4 ton 4x4 also and its hard to look a top of from to see where the original motor mounts were someone thought they knew how to weld (PO) frame had crap all over I spent more than 2 hours grinding to clean it up couple of weeks ago
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: trying to figure out if my motor has been moved forward

I can get that for you tomorrow.

But a big block will not fit in the original location without modifying the firewall. The 572 will need even more clearance being a tall deck and having taller valve covers.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
travz500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I can get that for you tomorrow.

But a big block will not fit in the original location without modifying the firewall. The 572 will need even more clearance being a tall deck and having taller valve covers.
well its gonna go as far forward as I can go its only gonna have the 383 for hopefully a couple of years saving now for the 572 was gonna go 502 but the 572 just sounds even more different since i am gonna have a 65 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 8" lift shortbed bbw (hardly any bbw around here) and a big block would really set it apart from the rest
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

here is what I measured for my suburban build, 19 1/2 from rad x member to top bolt on the block, and 20 3/4 from the x member to the lower bolt.
I took the measurements off my stock 63 v8 4x4
this is a big block build, and if I could do it again, I would have moved the whole mount forward an inch. right now I have 2-3 inches clearance to the radiator, but I am going to have to "relieve" the firewall a little bit to clear the driver valve cover.
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
travz500

OK here is another picture there is 4" from the front of the water pump pulley to the radiator how close are you to the radiator here is another picture
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

mine has no fan spacer but that 4 inches looks similar to the space I have, I will try to get you a pic of mine with the rad in over the weekend.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
travz500

thanks jonz hoping and planning on pulling engine and putting in my crossmembers this weekend I want to move it forward a couple more inches if I can wont have a fan anyhow only electric fans
thanks guys
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you change to the short water pump, that will give you a little more room up front.

1-5/16" to be exact.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

here is a pic from my thread, that I didn't realize I had, I can't put the rad back in , because I pulled the crossmember out

but I did put a square against the fan, and it measures 4 inches to that rivet that you can just see in front of the gloves...
hope some of this helps...
Attached Images