The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
LDO

Suspension Help!!

1966 C10 with five lug disks and power steering.

P/O installed a steering damper that went from a fixed bracket on the passenger side to a bracket mounted to the center link. Well, the shock was trashed so I decided to replace it with a monroe unit sa1932 "made for 66) which apparently places the fixed bracket on the driver side on the idler arm mounting bracket but the holes dont line up. Nothing is mentioned of drilling new holes. As you have probablg figured out by now, the instructions are less than helpful. I would appreciate any help or pictures of these things installed.

Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
luvbowties

Wink Re: Suspension Help!!

First, idler arm is on PASSENGER side. Since you already have 5-lugs, we have no way of knowing what model idler arm bracket is on your frame, quite possibly a newer, different-from-1966 one that mounts differently.
Time for some adaptation. I'd think that drilling mating holes while keeping shock in line w/previous installation would be a start. May or may not be able to use even one of the new idler bracket holes. May or may not be able to use original holes, as new bracket may cover, even tho' not use, original holes. May be able to drill additional, smaller holes thru idler bracket AND frame to mount new bracket for damper.

Another, out-of-the box suggestion: You should be able to easily/simply fab a new mtg. bracket [or even an "adapting" bracket for the existing bracket] for the damper that utilizes the present idler bracket bolts, using no larger than 3/16" strap or angle, elec drill, hack saw, vise, and pipe wrench (or other bending tool).

One more idea: How does it drive with damper removed? You may find it does not help enough to even bother with the hassle to install--esp. if you have a nice power steering system! They often remove the tendency to 'dive' so prevalent in manual steering setups.
HTH,
sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 12-16-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: ...grammar...
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
LDO

Re: Suspension Help!!

Sam,
Thanks for the info. That explains alot. So step one should be to sh#t can the instructions...haha
Maybe when I start looking at the correct side, things might line up better!

I will take a look in the a.m. and also snap some pictures that may help figure this one out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote