The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
fencepost

Square Blazer full top help?

I've found where a guy used a later year as a parts truck and swaped his 1/2 to a full top. What I'm looking for is a kit with just the conversion parts and a lead on a good rag top. I don't own a Blazer but the 1/2 tops are pretty affordable and in decent shape and the full tops are either super high/super rough or super clean/and super high. Looking for kit leads because there are like no full top perts trucks around here. Any help would be appreciated.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Square Blazer full top help?

I haven't heard of a kit being available. I'm pretty sure you're on your own to gather up what you need.

These are pretty nice: http://www.softopper.com/chevy-blaze...p-details.aspx

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
fencepost

Thanks. That is a nice looking top. Guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for a parts truck for the window posts and door caps window pieces and such.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
fencepost

Looked on classic industries and the net but could not find anyone who sells replacement windshield frames. I've never owned a K5 type blazer before but I figured that area would be prone to rust and somebody would offer some replacement metal. A list of vendors that lean towards the 73-75 year range Blazer would be nice too. Just trying to establish a game plan right now. Sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee last night and have started finishing my Nova so if things keep moving along I might be in line for a Blazer around April or May.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
csa daddy

i got what ya need for a full top conversion
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
fencepost

I'm not a premium member so I can't trade on the site. It appears there's plenty of guys with posts laying around to do the conversion. Does any aftermarket offer replacement panels for that area, say if the truck was a roll over and needed new posts or if the cross part was rusted out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Not a lot of aftermarket support for the 73-75's. LMC doesn't even cover the unique bits to a full convertible square. Heck GM didn't sell specific doors for them, just a full truck door with instructions on where to cut and brace as the original 'vert doors were.

You are pretty much stuck with finding a donor to get the windshield frame from. Keep in mind when you whack the roof off of a half top to do this you will need to add some bracing to the body to keep it from sagging. GM built supports into the floor commonly referred to as "rocker boxes" that supported the cowl and kept the body folding in on itself.

CK5.com has the best write up on the conversion to full vert.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
fencepost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Not a lot of aftermarket support for the 73-75's. LMC doesn't even cover the unique bits to a full convertible square. Heck GM didn't sell specific doors for them, just a full truck door with instructions on where to cut and brace as the original 'vert doors were.

You are pretty much stuck with finding a donor to get the windshield frame from. Keep in mind when you whack the roof off of a half top to do this you will need to add some bracing to the body to keep it from sagging. GM built supports into the floor commonly referred to as "rocker boxes" that supported the cowl and kept the body folding in on itself.

CK5.com has the best write up on the conversion to full vert.
Starting to figure that out. I really figured there was a lot of aftermarket support for Blazers like they are early model Bronco's and Jeeps but that does not seem to be the case.

I've been studing the soft top Bruiser showed ealier and I think because it has a mount that screws to the front of the windshield post that I could cut and box the windshield frame and use the soft top. I would like to add a full role cage, so that would take care of any flex issues.

Do you have a link or a copy of those instructions on GM's recumendations for cutting the doors.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Oklahoma_k5

I have a softtopper on an 87 so its just a half top. but I really like it. Not that much extra noise. No Flapping or anything like that. I planned on using the soft top in the summer and swapping back to the hard top in winter. Hard top is still off.
Oklahoma_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
fencepost

When I'm able to do the build it will be a summer vehicle only, but Jeeps run soft tops year around so Blazers can too. Wished I had the cash to get a project truck but just holding out right now. Got my game plan all I need is doe.

Will find hard top Blazer, quality will bepend on price.

Cut the top add full soft top, and cage.

Add 6-8" lift with 35" tires, probably 15x10 wheels

Enjoy truck, maybe add 14 bolt rear and 3/4t front axle.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Ford Assassin

I have owned my K5 since '99 and it took me until '06 to source all the pieces to do the full convertible conversion. Of course I wasn't looking to pay top dollar either, but alot of comes down to being in the right place and the right time.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote