The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
SLCviaAK

Build ideas

Ive been a lurker on this board (and many others) for a long time. I have a 1950 Chevy pickup that was given to me over five years ago as a birthday present. It has been languishing in my garage ever since. Initial plans were an S10 frame swap. Bought an 86 S10 reg cab long bed 2wd two years ago. But I ended up driving the damn thing as a work commuter till I just bought a new truck. Any way, now my plans have changed. I am thinking of doing a fender less AD truck. May even chop it into a roaster. This truck is really rough (REALLY ROUGH). So I have no qualms about cutting it all up. I had been following a build on RRR by a guy named Donuts1. That is what I'm kinda going for. Thoughts?

Anybody have any other fender less or roadster (or both) pics for reference?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
SLCviaAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
SLCviaAK

Re: Build ideas

PS : this build will probably take a VERY long time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
mknittle

myself I am getting tired of rat rods.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
OrrieG

Here's a roadster in the build threads.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=459839
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
meter swinger

Welcome to the forum.
Post some pics of your truck.
You really need to think about builiding what you want. I say this because you mentioned that the truck was given to you. If it dosent turn you crank go find one that does. The main thing about this hobby is to enjoy it.
As far as the style you are talking about i have not seen a fenderless AD that I like. I like fenderless hotrods but the AD trucks are not proportioned for it without severe butchering IMHO.
I do like them patina'd, farm fresh or whatever you want to label it.
Just my. 02
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
Chevette

I agree with Meter Swinger 100%. Build what you like and pay little mind to what others like. Whatever turns your crank. At the end of the day, it's you that must be happy and proud of your build. My next build will be a "fun to run" vehicle. I have a neighbor who built an upscale rat rod. He has a blast with it. Never worries about scratches or parking lot dings. It's a roadster and he loves it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCviaAK View Post
...May even chop it into a roaster...
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I like that idea, i love convertables so i've always wanted to chop a roof off a truck.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

A while back I would have given the idea of an open wheel TF the thumbs down, but that was before I saw this thread. This is a neat ride. He did later on add fenders and that just added to the coolness factor to me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=autocross
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Hubscrub
Cruzin

^thats a cool truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Ditto to that. Rat rods are the downfall of the whole hobby.

I did see a low down chopped and sectioned AD truck on Bonneville coverage on the HAMB that looked passable but looked more like an altered coupe salt or lake racer than a junky rat rod.

No matter what you do take the time to get the fit and finish right and put in all the safety features that a vehicle that you actually drive needs. And don't get conned into tacking on junk just because some clown gets internet and magazine coverage with non automotive junk welded on his car when he poses in the parking lot of the motel at some big event.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
SLCviaAK

I love the links you guys posted. Some awesome trucks there. Thanks

Make no mistake, this will not be some junky rat rod in that sense. No extra bull**it tacked on just to make a statement. If it won't make it go fast, or stop: it don't need to be there. That is a hot rod in my book. I want it safe, and most likely track legal. My idea for a motor involves a boosted LS of some sort. Fast and loud!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
SLCviaAK

So I acquired another cab, gonna make this one my fenderless beater. Gonna chop it, if that don't work out, cut it completely off for a roadster. I am going my own way.

I spend a lot more time over on pt.net, so I started a build thread over there. Again, this is gonna be long and drawn out. But at least it's in the shop now.

Build thread at pt.net :

http://m.performancetrucks.net/forum...98#post5036898
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
wood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
I agree with Meter Swinger 100%. Build what you like and pay little mind to what others like. Whatever turns your crank. At the end of the day, it's you that must be happy and proud of your build. My next build will be a "fun to run" vehicle. I have a neighbor who built an upscale rat rod. He has a blast with it. Never worries about scratches or parking lot dings. It's a roadster and he loves it.
AGREE!! Do what YOU want.....
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
SLCviaAK

Started the chop.

Took four inches out of it. Obviously I still need to section the roof and line it all back up. Easy part is done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
bk2life
Account Suspended

leave the body all beat up, finish your chop and sit on the s10 chassis. have some fun with it. personally i like fenders, but its your truck.

someone gave it to you 5 years ago. sell it and get something you like.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
f18delta

Chopped and fenderless....Hmm... Think you could run a prowler like set up for the front end? I think that'd be cool. Your mock up in the pics above with the cab and tires sitting together gave me the idea. Not sure if you're building your own frame or not, but if you've got the gumption to do a chopped top, I'm guessing that you're comfortable with welding. Stating the obvious, I know.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
SLCviaAK

Ya, welding is no problem. Gonna build my own 2x3 frame. Cab and hood will be the only sheet metal. Yes, it is staying "rough".
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
+1 The good thing is that most of them are trailered even more than the fancy high buck show trucks because they can't be registered for the street.

Can't tell you what to do SLCviaAK except to build it so that it is safe to drive not only for yourself but for the sake of those around you. And preferably don't get caught up in the "gotta weld wrenches and other industrial stuff on the rig to make it a cool rat rod" thing.

I saw the photos of the fenderless truck at Bonneville and although it isn't quite my style it still looks every bit and AD GM truck. No scabbed on early grill leaning at a 45 degree angle or farm equipment grill. No scabbed on junk to have junk scabbed on to get the mouthbreather's attention and raise the Bubba factor.

Personally If I was going fenderless I'd leave the I beam axle under it rather than have the ugly S-10 A frames out for everyone to see and I'd channel the body down over the frame a few inches along with shortening the bed a bit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
SLCviaAK

Again, no random crap will be added to this build. Only thing added or removed will be to make it go fast or stop. Just like a proper hot rod. Just because it is unpainted rough, doesnt mean it is automatically a rat rod. Most "rat rods" have crossed over into that useless junk sector. If it still looks good, with function to it, that is a hot rod in my book.

It will of course be safe. I want to be able to cruise to Vegas at 85+ mph with two fingers on the wheel. I've got a bunch of ideas in my head, only time will tell which ones come to fruition.
Posted via Mobile Device