The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
hugger6933

Block trouble......

no it is not a small block or a big block or even a LS block that is giving me trouble, it is builders block. Anybody ever have it? I recently finished up the last two wrecks I had in my body shop and had some down time so I pulled on of my truck projects around from the holding pen to work on it. Well for those of you that don't know me I own a body shop and rebuild wrecked trucks and suv's and have since the late 80's. So I am no stranger to building.I have this truck in the shop and have been wanting to get on it forever ]it has been a year since I bought it]where does the time go? Any ways , I got it in the shop and planned to work on it and now I am blocked up, I can't really find a starting place. The truck is a 70 swb with a high school bad repaint the factory color is red with a white top but now it is surplus blue. It has a 327 with a 3 speed in it and I have gathered the two T-5's to put a 5 speed overdrive in it and a van tilt with the ears shaved off and all of the holes welded up to look like a factory floor tilt. I also have a high hump for it [knowing it does not need it to change to a t-5 but I thought it better] I also wanted to change to power steering so the braket stuff will havew to be found as the heads have no holes.Of course the paint will have to be freshened up and to clean it properly and change the bushings and other stuff it needs it will probably have to come down to the rails. I know what It need where it needs I just have a builders block. Anyone got a suggestion ? Or a push ? Or a direction I should lean in? Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: Block trouble......

Just start on the next component. Take the engine and get it all fixed up, then the rear axle, then the front suspension, etc. That way you break it into smaller less daunting steps.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
hugger6933

Yeah, I know Like I've told countless others on here that have asked basicly the same question when overwhelmed, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.I know it is a matter of finding a starting place, I think it may be me more scared that I will have a truckload of late models come in right after I tear down the 70, and then it will sit stripped down. I want to do some meaningful projects on it and maybe drive it some but it needs so much to be right before I do so maybe that teardown is best. Thanks everyone for the help in letting me talk/type it out to figure out what to do. Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
midniteblues

how about taking them 2 t-5's and making them one that will be something that wont clutter the shop and after they are done it will give you motivation too pull that 3spd then install your hump get your trans in place and get a measurement for the shaft.

seems like a good starting place cause none of it will fill the shop with stuff and in doing this theres plenty of small things to do and it kinda keeps the truck moblie as a roller at least
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
eagleuh1

Just git er done. I get the same block sometimes. Was dreading putting the rear tank in. But once I actually started on it, it was less than 2 days light work. The hardest part was bending the gas line from front to back and threading it through frame brackets. Sometimes writing the different tasks down on a list and breaking each up into steps helps. Then just pick a task and get started. Checkem off one at time. Good luck. And better get started before the overcast winter days get to Arkansas. I don't feel like doing anything then. LOL. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
hugger6933

Well the fenders are bad and so is the core support so I think I will take the ones off of my 71 parts truck and prep those for paint. Once those are in prime I will do the doors, roof rockers then the tear down. Thanks Jim at russelville for the boost yeah it is turning from 70 to 30 in a couple of days it looks like. I bought a couple at the sale so it all my be moot. In my bussiness I have found that anytime things get slow or times are getting close to slack, bring something fun into the shop and the jobs will come back. I am by no means complaining, don't get me wrong it is just that when I think I am gonna get to work on something it gets back burnered many many times. Jim