The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
brap999

Parking Brake Connection

Since I bought my truck, my parking brake has not worked properly. I can pull the handle it it tightens up to the point I can't pull it anymore, but there is still not enough force to keep the truck from moving. The previous owner built a 'custom' bracket to connect the cable from the parking brake handle two the two cables to the rear drums.

After doing some research, I see why he attempted to build the 'custom' bracket', as it seems I'm missing the piece that connects the brake handle cable to the rear cables.

I attached a photo from the '63 shop manual which shows the piece I'm talking about.

Where can I get this? I've looked around but can't find it, though it might be because I don't know exactly what it's called or what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or suggestions how to get this thing working?
Attached Images

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Parking Brake Connection

To my knowledge, no one make this. You'll have to pull it off another truck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
1963c-10

I believe its called the parking brake equalizer.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Basically flatbar with holes drilled in it and a notch. Course you have to have one to make one.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap999 View Post
Since I bought my truck, my parking brake has not worked properly. I can pull the handle it it tightens up to the point I can't pull it anymore, but there is still not enough force to keep the truck from moving...

...Any ideas or suggestions how to get this thing working?
If you want to keep the stock style actuation, you'll have to fabricate that forward equalizer bar assembly...several of us have had to do that in the past, or go with an aftermarket solution from Lokar, etc. But, before you start dismantling everything, did you adjust the rear brake shoes? just have to ask since it is sometimes overlooked.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
1963c-10

I have a 61 parts truck, I can see if theres still one in it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
TR65

This is off a 65 but I think it is the same as yours. Here is a picture so you can see what it was. I had to move mine so I just fabbed a whole new unit. Works good. Post #10 of my build thread has some more details. Good luck.

TR
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
This is off a 65 but I think it is the same as yours. Here is a picture so you can see what it was. I had to move mine so I just fabbed a whole new unit. Works good. Post #10 of my build thread has some more details. Good luck.

TR

Nice fab work! The e-brake set up from a 66 will also do the trick. I'm sure you already know that. Do you have the stock trans? Edit: Never mind, I noticed the build thread and read that.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
ABX131

Thanks for this post. I am going to have to address my parking brake issues soon and I will have to fab this unit.
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
I had to move mine so I just fabbed a whole new unit. Works good. Post #10 of my build thread has some more details.
TR
That is just TOO SICK!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
702Badge

Hey guys..Im new to this. I just bought an old '63 chevy 4x4. The parkign brake handle under the steering wheel appears to be fully functional. The cable is connected to rear drums and looks ot be intact. My issue is that the cable is just through the fire wall with the u bolt thingy on the end and it is NOT hooked up to the ebrake handle. Can someone show me a pic of how this cable attaches or what I can do to get it secured. Thanks a bunch for the help.
702Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Parking Brake Connection

Quote:
Since I bought my truck, my parking brake has not worked properly. I can pull the handle it it tightens up to the point I can't pull it anymore, but there is still not enough force to keep the truck from moving. The previous owner built a 'custom' bracket to connect the cable from the parking brake handle two the two cables to the rear drums.

After doing some research, I see why he attempted to build the 'custom' bracket', as it seems I'm missing the piece that connects the brake handle cable to the rear cables.

I attached a photo from the '63 shop manual which shows the piece I'm talking about.

Where can I get this? I've looked around but can't find it, though it might be because I don't know exactly what it's called or what I'm looking for.

After seeing how it is made, you can tell it really multiplies the force you exert on e-brake handle, huh? If I were to make one, I think I'd drill several holes to maybe give me choices of even more pulling force...since thinking about it, I believe I'll just do that to my original!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
luvbowties

Unhappy Re: Parking Brake Connection

Quote:

...just found out 1966 and newer did not even have this: see picture.
Sam
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Parking Brake Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702Badge View Post
Hey guys..Im new to this. I just bought an old '63 chevy 4x4. The parkign brake handle under the steering wheel appears to be fully functional. The cable is connected to rear drums and looks ot be intact. My issue is that the cable is just through the fire wall with the u bolt thingy on the end and it is NOT hooked up to the ebrake handle. Can someone show me a pic of how this cable attaches or what I can do to get it secured. Thanks a bunch for the help.
Hope this helps.
Sam
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
702Badge

Thanks Sam!

I can see there is a bolt that appears to go through the u-clamp on the cable, which will go around the ebrake handle. I can't figure out how the cable itself mounts to the ebrake handle frame/etc. From the pic above, it looks like a bolt, but my cable end is straight, no tabs mounting hardware. Is there some speacial clamp that goes aroudn the cable with a hole in it to tightend down? Can you take a pic of the one in your truck?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
702Badge

Woo,

Do you have any photos of your ebrake handle and the way the cable attaches?

Thanks,