The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
ACK

TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

My '64 C10 with a 250 engine has a TH350 installed by a PO. The kickdown cable is not connected and I'm gathering from reading older posts that there isn't a good spot to hook it up on the Rochester B, however, sounds like it can be done. Is there a good set up to get it attached?

Also, any thoughts on changing to a Rochester 2GC ... pros and cons?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
ACK

Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

A pic or two of the kick down cable bracket location and how the cable is hooked up to the carb would be really helpful. The plan is to rebuild the carb by Thanksgiving and, if necessary, would like to mod it while it's off the engine.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
A pic or two of the kick down cable bracket location and how the cable is hooked up to the carb would be really helpful. The plan is to rebuild the carb by Thanksgiving and, if necessary, would like to mod it while it's off the engine.
Since the th350 kick-down is not nearly as critical as say a 700R4 throttle-pressure connection, it is time for you to just be creative using a little sheet metal, electric drill, and tiny bits and stove bolts with washers. Look at some th350 factory hookups under a few hoods & take pics if necessary. Then, start with a cardboard-template via scissors & lead pencil markings. Finally progress to the sheet metal, etc. After looking at/taking pics of factory hookups, you should see there's nothing much to buy except the cable bracket(google will be your friend) that mounts near driver's rear of carburetor and/or manifold bolts. Using its adjustability, & mounting it maybe midway along the adjustment section of cable insertion, it should make for a happy, final, adjusted connection.

One reason for few responses is prolly due to very few people using that type carb any more: sorry!
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
ACK

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the bracket should be easy and fun – creating a cardboard dummy will help a lot.

I want to get the carb connection right the 1st time. Unfortunately, the linkage faces the firewall, so finding usable pics here and on the internet has been fruitless so far. Just need one good photo of the linkage and I'm in business.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the bracket should be easy and fun – creating a cardboard dummy will help a lot.

I want to get the carb connection right the 1st time. Unfortunately, the linkage faces the firewall, so finding usable pics here and on the internet has been fruitless so far. Just need one good photo of the linkage and I'm in business.
Here are some pics from this forum that might help. Enjoy the ideas!
>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4684762 <<
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
ACK

Dang! You're quick, tell me you already knew where to find that pic. That helps a lot.

Here's a picture of my carb. The linkage is on the opposite side, I'll need to see what I have to work with for the bracket. On the upside, I finally have a big enough list to visit Junkyard Barbie.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
luvbowties

Wink Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

Quote:
Dang! You're quick, tell me you already knew where to find that pic. That helps a lot.

Here's a picture of my carb. The linkage is on the opposite side, I'll need to see what I have to work with for the bracket. On the upside, I finally have a big enough list to visit Junkyard Barbie.
Haha, thx; but look in #3 & see what I told you there, "(google will be your friend)". So...guess how I found the pics!
sam
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
luvbowties

Quote:

Here's a pic I have from I cannot recall(if someone recognizes it, I'll gladly credit you for it)where; but I must've thought it interesting
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
50bomb

I have a 67 chevy truck and I also have a 250/th350 with the Rochester B carb. I asked alot of folks here and there was debates on the affect of the transmission without the cable hooked to carb. Most agreed that you dont really need it and it wont destroy your trans. Now if you had a th400 or 700 trans then it NEEDs to be hooked up. I say just keep in hooked off to the side. But if you DO find a way to make it work LET ME KNOW! ahaha I want mine to function too
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
luvbowties

Quote:

I just thought of something: You should read this thread--esp. #10. >> http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=204664 <<.

Also, it may make life easier if you just install a TH400; it uses NO cables; line pressures, like TH350 are controlled by a vacuum modulator(just hook a rubber hose from engine vacuum to it); and then w/the TH400, you can install a simple pull-on switch(run 2 wires to detent switch on side of tranny) to make it downshift when throttle is pushed toward wide open throttle. The TH350 is able to run w/o its cable hooked up; however, the 700R4 and 200-4R (overdrives) use cables that regulate line pressure & will self-destruct if not connected properly.

If you just gotta run the 350, you can do so w/o attaching the kick-down cable--just use shifter to downshift anytime you wanna 'catch passing gear'.

HTH
sam
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
luvbowties

Cool Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bomb View Post
I have a 67 chevy truck and I also have a 250/th350 with the Rochester B carb. I asked alot of folks here and there was debates on the affect of the transmission without the cable hooked to carb. Most agreed that you dont really need it and it wont destroy your trans. Now if you had a th400 or 700 trans then it NEEDs to be hooked up. I say just keep in hooked off to the side. But if you DO find a way to make it work LET ME KNOW! ahaha I want mine to function too
Hey, 50bomb, you've got a great place to place a homemade bell crank--on the end of the stud coming thru the manifold that the throttle linkage pivots on. Then modify a v-8 TH350 bracket somewhere behind it & hook "fat" part of cable into bracket and the end of cable onto bottom of bell crank. Again, adjustment is not critical (like 700R4 and 200-4R), just ballpark it enough to suit your heavy(?) foot for downshifting with the accelerator.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
50bomb

Thanks for the correction about the transmissions. Yea I will take your advice and see what i can do. I hate having stuff just hangin off to the side to be honest
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I ran about a year and a half without a kickdown cable. The PO hacked it at the tranny. When my tranny went up in smoke, thats when I connected a new kickdown cable.

IM not saying not having it led to my tranny failure, but I wanted it with the rebuilt tranny. When up shifting it was not an issue. It was a manual operation when wanting to down shift to pass or I just left it in 3rd gear.

Here is a pic of mine if it helps.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
ACK

All these photos are helping a lot. Looking at the mechanics of the Rochester single barrel, my initial thought is to make a single bracket that will handle both the manual choke and the kick down cable. I'll have to think this through and draw something up. I'll give an update when I come up with a design I like, in the mean time, please continue to add any helpful info to this thread. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
luvbowties

Question Re: TH350 Kickdown Cable and Rochester B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
I ran about a year and a half without a kickdown cable. The PO hacked it at the tranny. When my tranny went up in smoke, thats when I connected a new kickdown cable.

IM not saying not having it led to my tranny failure, but I wanted it with the rebuilt tranny. When up shifting it was not an issue. It was a manual operation when wanting to down shift to pass or I just left it in 3rd gear.

Here is a pic of mine if it helps.

You might wanna try this for your linkage rod to fit that big carb linkage hole:
>> http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1069&ppt=C0261 <<
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
50bomb

Check out this thread link. It is amazing.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=258488
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
MP33

I modified the throttle bellcrank to hook the kickdown up to. Works good. Sorry for all the pics, I couldn't get a good angle. Hope you get the idea.
Attached Images

MP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
ACK

I was working on the truck today, looking at that area and wondering if it could be a good spot. Now I have something concrete to go by. Thanks MP33 for the help and pics.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
ACK

I designed kick down brackets using the feedback and pics from everyone. It took more time to measure, draw, and make mock ups than to fabricate and install.

I put them in today and they work great. Testing was fun ... yeah, I was grinning from ear to ear the 1st time it kicked down. Cost to make was under $20 and install required just a drill and screw driver. Here's some pics.
Attached Images