The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
383drvr

Question TH350 is bleeding!

The 350 transmission in my 83 is leaking from the tailshaft area. But it only leaks intermitantly. Not necessarily when its on a hill, it leaks sometimes when the truck is perfectly level in my backyard. It will go weeks and months sometimes before "purging" almost a quart onto my drive

So, Do you think its a rear seal even though it leaks on and off? I've had this truck for a few months now, and the previous owner (mechanic), said he just replaced it...

If it is the rear seal, is it something I can fix myself in a few hours or over the weekend? Its my only driver.... What is the process in replacing this part?

Thanks!

383drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
Frank-id

The turbo 350 trans an easy keeper

Repairing a rear trans leak is not difficult,........... with some good parts and tools. The repair is pretty straight forward. Remove the driveline out of truck, place drain pan under rear of trans, and remove tail housing from trans. Go to a good parts house and buy a few quarts of ATF , a rear seal and rear bushing. The seal usually only leaks when the rear bushing is all worn big. Take bushing and seal to local trans shop and pay to have same installed. The trans shop will have correct tools and experience as to fit. Go to truck and reinstall all parts removed earlier. If extension housing gasket is not broken, reinstall with a dab of silicone. Fill ATF to full after short warm up.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You have a problem with the output shaft o-ring.
Read this http://www.73-87.com/garage/yokeleak.htm
Old 10-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #4
383drvr

Cool. Only problem is I dont have a ride to the trans shop... Is it possible for me to do it? Or does it require presses and specialty tools that I wont have?

Also, I need a new speedo gear, Where are they available? (please dont say trans shop) :p
383drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I replaced the o-ring in my th-350 like was suggested on Swervin's site in gchemist's post. I had an intermittent leak, and that fixed it. I did not need any special tools. I got the parts at the dealer for less than $10 because the guys at the local parts stores kept guessing which o-rings I needed, and selling me the wrong parts. The dealer got it right the first time and did noit charge much more.

I got my new speedo gear from, you guessed it, a tranny shop. There is a place here in town where the tranny shops buy their parts. I got a new gear there for two or three dolllars, I think. Go ahead and get a new "bullet" and seal while you are at it. Ther whole set with new seal and o-ring was under $10 at the shop here.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 10-15-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
79 stepside

First time visit, my exact problem

I crawled out from under my p/u, cleaned off my hands, hopped on the internet, found your site, registered, typed in my search, and found an EXACT picture of my problem with the instructions on how to do it. First thread I looked at too! I'm impressed and also grateful! Too late to go to the parts store today, but will do the dis-assembly today and get the parts in the morning. I can see the fluid oozzing out of the weephole. I'm going to look for a thread on driveshaft removal, and hope for the same luck.
Thank yall!
JL

Thanks for the welcome below. I've bookmarked the site, and WILL spend much time here I'm sure. Bought my truck brand new in '79, and will have it forever. Lots of sentimental value, as I basically grew up in it.

Last edited by 79 stepside; 10-23-2003 at 11:21 PM.
79 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

79 stepside,
Welcome to the site.
By the way, a small dab of BJ welds works too.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:17 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You don't want to cover up the hole in the yoke. It was put there for a purpose. The purpose is to help relieve the pressure that the yoke causes as it moves in and out. This is on trucks because they have more bounce and up and down motion. If this pressure isn't relieved, it causes other blown seals. Now, this is theory and a good one if you ask me. Plug it if you want to. But for me, I prefer to do it the right way. I don't think GM went to all this trouble for nothing, do you?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:45 AM   #9
79 stepside

Tranny bleeding stopped

Thanks for the original question and for the help given as it fixed my problem also. Had to go to a couple of Chevy houses to get all the orings and seals, but the work was easy. Getting the driveshaft back in was the hardest part. The oring in the cup took care of the oozzing out of the weep hole, and I replaced the rear seal and the oring around the speedo gear assy also. Now maybe I can drive this thing a little more often.
Thank yall a bunch...
Jimmy
Attached Images

'67 Camaro
'97 Ford F-150
Diesels:
'80 Mercedes 300TD
'85 Mercedes 300TD
'77 Mercedes 300D (parts car)
79 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #10
84Stepper

I replaced the O-ring in my leaky truck, I just followed swervins advice on his website. Real easy. Got the o-ring at the chevy parts store at the dealer. Thanks again Swervin for all you have done to help me.
and 1604 carb, 40 Series Flowmasters
dumped, and Western Chassis 3/5 drop w/ c notch. New 3:73 Eaton Posi
84Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote