The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Radiator leak. What are my best options?

It isn't much of a leak YET. What is the best option with these trucks. Brand new replacement? Get this one repaired? Junk yard?

What did you end up paying for your suggestion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Radiator leak. What are my best options?

I made multiple repairs to my original radiator until I happen to catch "Teeitup" one of parting out venders here at right time when he happened to have a like new 3-core radiator for $100...My truck had a single core originally. The previous owner had soldered a 20-30 degree elbow to the lower outlet...the new radiator didnt have the elbow. My truck has the 350. So I guess I'm saying if you have the $400, buy a new one or, repair the one you have and keep your eyes open for a good deal on new or nearly new one...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I made multiple repairs to my original radiator until I happen to catch "Teeitup" one of parting out venders here at right time when he happened to have a like new 3-core radiator for $100...My truck had a single core originally. The previous owner had soldered a 20-30 degree elbow to the lower outlet...the new radiator didnt have the elbow. My truck has the 350. So I guess I'm saying if you have the $400, buy a new one or, repair the one you have and keep your eyes open for a good deal on new or nearly new one...
$400? I saw a few online brand new for like $165
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Littletony

I would by a new one. The last one I bought was a stock replacement 4 row one from Advance for under 200. Or you can buy one from ebay for under 200 like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=321046944804

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Have the thing repaired. Most radiator shops charge 50 bucks for a full clean and rod job as well as repairing leaks. Then you're left with a much better unit than the Chinese stuff you see for the low prices out there.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The radiator situation can take you round and round. Buying new can be the cheapest and easiest way to go...BUT,you end up with a much lower quality part than the original Harrison. It will never last s long as the original. Do you need it to last this long? Does it matter to you that you retain original equipment? I have had them rodded and even re-cored. You can spend more on a re-core than a new radiator,but I have yet to buy a new replacement. I have always had one to have checked and swap or had one that is repairable. I have a very good radiator man who people bring their stiff that there is no replacement for. He is "the man" when it comes to radiators. He has suggested getting a new one to me when looking solely at cost. He has been doubtful a radiator would survive a rodding. If you go ahead then find it's shot you still pay. So,like I said,you can go roundy round. The question is,"Just how corroded is your original radiator and,if it is bad,can you find a better OEM?" If you were doing a job for a customer I'd think you'd tend to go replacement for cost and reduced chance of come-back.If you love your truck and want to keep it as original and high quality as possible you'll repair/replace/rebuild with OEM.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletony View Post
I would by a new one. The last one I bought was a stock replacement 4 row one from Advance for under 200. Or you can buy one from ebay for under 200 like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=321046944804
with any radiator but alum you really need to do it more then copper and brass is use distill water no menarals just look at your water heart all the white stuff around them copper pipes alum get eaten up in a heart beat and clog it up
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: Radiator leak. What are my best options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The radiator situation can take you round and round. Buying new can be the cheapest and easiest way to go...BUT,you end up with a much lower quality part than the original Harrison. It will never last s long as the original. Do you need it to last this long? Does it matter to you that you retain original equipment? I have had them rodded and even re-cored. You can spend more on a re-core than a new radiator,but I have yet to buy a new replacement. I have always had one to have checked and swap or had one that is repairable. I have a very good radiator man who people bring their stiff that there is no replacement for. He is "the man" when it comes to radiators. He has suggested getting a new one to me when looking solely at cost. He has been doubtful a radiator would survive a rodding. If you go ahead then find it's shot you still pay. So,like I said,you can go roundy round. The question is,"Just how corroded is your original radiator and,if it is bad,can you find a better OEM?" If you were doing a job for a customer I'd think you'd tend to go replacement for cost and reduced chance of come-back.If you love your truck and want to keep it as original and high quality as possible you'll repair/replace/rebuild with OEM.
this guy knows his parts about 7 years ago i bought 2 Modines 4 core radiators out the door for 200.00 a peace.they where the same quilty as Harrison that made them for GM.For the same radiator today you pay 350 to 400.Even tho you save to day with the alum radiators you end up paying later.My brass and copper radiators hold up really well.they seem to be able to sit long times with out having problems
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Good advice. I think I'll stick with a stock radiator. Hell, it's lasted this long. Must be made well.

There ARE exceptions though. The stock windshield washer pump motor on these trucks is garbage. Mine was out when I bought the truck. Bought a 2010 replacement reproduction part off a 71, and it was bad too. The guys here told me they weren't made well, and to get a washer bottle with a motor built in it off an S10. Did that, and it works very well, holds more fluid, and is easy access if the motor goes out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The problem with the washer pumps on these trucks is not only do they suck,they blow. Seriously,they suck and they blow!
Mounting the pump onto the tank performs much better. I think every truck I've had has had a bad washer pump.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote