The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
72 Super

Steering wheel cover- Help from cracking??

Does anyone have this type of cover on their original 69-72 steering wheel? I have a decent Black wheel that had a few small cracks in it. I was wondering if one of the old style covers would help it from cracking from the Cold?

Superior 58-0550B Super Sport Grip, Black :... Superior 58-0550B Super Sport Grip, Black :...
Thanks,
Ray
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Lemield

Re: Steering wheel cover- Help from cracking??

I have that type of cover on two of my trucks and my old Willys Jeep...I doubt it keeps anything from cracking...I think once a wheel is cracked, it's cracked and there is nothing you can do other than using epoxy or something to repair it....I'm no expert so maybe one will chime in....

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemield View Post
I have that type of cover on two of my trucks and my old Willys Jeep...I doubt it keeps anything from cracking...I think once a wheel is cracked, it's cracked and there is nothing you can do other than using epoxy or something to repair it....I'm no expert so maybe one will chime in....
I know it wouldnt stop a crack from spreading once it started cracking. I was wondering if would just help protect from getting anymore cracks by keeping it a little warmer.

Sorry I wasn't very clear

Ray
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Lemield

Hi Ray,

You were clear enough...maybe I wasn't...

I think the covers shield the wheel from direct sunlight....so maybe they would help prevent cracking...as I said, I'm no expert....I just like the feel of the covers rather than the plastic of the steering wheels....that's why I put them on.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
72 Super

Larry, I sorta figured as much and I agree. Plus it wouldn't be as cold in the mornings with a cover
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I've used that style on just about all of my vehicles since the late early 80's. I have it on my 68 GMC and had it on my 69.

Primarily the wheels crack because of sun and heat. Dries out them out. On my 68 it helped in that it absorbed some of the heat away from the wheel. Hasn't cracked any more since I put it on about 12-15 years ago.

I also use a good quality windshield shade to keep the sun and heat down some. A friend of mine, always used a white towel to throw over the steering wheel. Said it protected it and always had a towel handy for spills.
Attached Images

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I've used that style on just about all of my vehicles since the late early 80's. I have it on my 68 GMC and had it on my 69.

Primarily the wheels crack because of sun and heat. Dries out them out. On my 68 it helped in that it absorbed some of the heat away from the wheel. Hasn't cracked any more since I put it on about 12-15 years ago.

I also use a good quality windshield shade to keep the sun and heat down some. A friend of mine, always used a white towel to throw over the steering wheel. Said it protected it and always had a towel handy for spills.
I thought about an windshield shade too. It's funny you bring up your friend using a towel to cover his wheel. My 71 SWB I used to have had a near mint wheel in it, and used to keep it covered with quilt It sat in my driveway most of the time. What we won't go through to protect our wheels lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Tinkermc

repair with epoxy is very easy and a towel to match the carpet helps2. Then if you have something in the truck cover it with the towel, not like removing it but out of site out of mind
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I think they help prevent cracks due to the sun. The wheels crack in the cold due to contraction but the cold isn't the cause. The heat loads the gun and the cold is the trigger. One thing for sure,a steering wheel cover will hide the rim cracks and you won't feel them either. I removed the steering column from my old '71 in '04. The steering wheel still looked good. Not sure if there were cracks in the rim because I had a cover on there since '88. That's been stored until last spring when I put it in my '72 K3500. The wheel looks like total crap now. It got dark stains and the center spokes are all cracked up. I haven't changed it yet but other than looks it feels just fine because the cover is still fine. I have a crack-free Black wheel I plan to paint Saddle,then put the cover on. It will also keep from showing paint wear on the rim,if there is any.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

I put a lace-on leather cover on my 69 in, I believe, 1972 because the wheel always felt greasy when hot. I took it off last year for the 1st time. The wheel has some minor cracks that weren't there in 1972, but the grain is like the day the truck was produced.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
MikeyMan

That Superior Sport Grip WON"T fit the stock steering wheel.

Make sure you measure the diameter of your steering wheel, and check the sizes listed for the cover.

They have covers for LARGER steering wheels, confirm the size!

Pretty sure the stock wheel is 17 inches. I have a later model steering wheel that is 16 inches. I just put on a sport grip that said "fits 14.5-16.5" and it was a struggle to stretch it over the wheel. Looks and feels good. I didn't have any cracks, but my wheel would get that "sticky" feeling.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
72 Super

I was hoping it might help. I think I will get a cover for the wheel I want to use because it has a couple fine cracks on the rim that will be covered and it will feel better.