The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
74 stepside

Re: Hey yall im new here. And i have a few questions

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have some good plans, but I would really discourage you from patching holes in your fenders with fiberglass. Much better off welding in new metal or replacing the fenders. You have a higher risk of paint bubbling using fiberglass. On your 8s and 10s, you will need 4" bs in front and 5" bs in rear for the wheels to tuck. Good luck with your truck.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Hi don't see those much round here,and with a wood bed too, cool
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 stepside View Post
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have some good plans, but I would really discourage you from patching holes in your fenders with fiberglass. Much better off welding in new metal or replacing the fenders. You have a higher risk of paint bubbling using fiberglass. On your 8s and 10s, you will need 4" bs in front and 5" bs in rear for the wheels to tuck. Good luck with your truck.
thank you for welcoming me, and thank you for the wheel spacing advise. Ill probably have to look up back spacing. Ive come to unanimous decision to get new fenders from Classic industrys. There a lil cheaper than LMC trucks, like $10, so is many of the other stepside parts..

thanks motor nut, i have never heard of wood beds or seen em before, its pretty unique. Everyone tells me to get metal and not waste my time!!
Posted via Mobile Device
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
chevybuilder18

Question Re: Hey yall im new here. And i have a few questions

Whatcha think? Not very classy like most ive seen for the stepside, i was going for a rounder light but this is all i could find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #30
JPalmer81

Welcome and on the truck. Dont see too many stepsides. I like your approach, and for you being a young guy, it is good to see the first thing your looking into doing is not the STEREO SYSTEM!!!!!! but i digress....for the wheels you should look around the site and get some ideas, there is literally an infinite amount of knowledge on this site, so please take some time and look around. The OEM plus look is pretty sweet. You can get some widened factory steelies and put the OEM dog dish hubs on for a real sweet look, IMO much better than any aftermarket wheel, but that is just me. Definately do not fiberglass this truck!! If anything, go buy a cheap used welder off of CL and learn how to weld ON THIS TRUCK, please dont put ANY fiberglass on it, it will not hold up. I like all your plans, and i am looking forward to seeing them come about. Again welcome to the site and good luck!!

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Your41Plague12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalmer81 View Post
Welcome and on the truck. Dont see too many stepsides. I like your approach, and for you being a young guy, it is good to see the first thing your looking into doing is not the STEREO SYSTEM!!!!!! but i digress....for the wheels you should look around the site and get some ideas, there is literally an infinite amount of knowledge on this site, so please take some time and look around. The OEM plus look is pretty sweet. You can get some widened factory steelies and put the OEM dog dish hubs on for a real sweet look, IMO much better than any aftermarket wheel, but that is just me. Definately do not fiberglass this truck!! If anything, go buy a cheap used welder off of CL and learn how to weld ON THIS TRUCK, please dont put ANY fiberglass on it, it will not hold up. I like all your plans, and i am looking forward to seeing them come about. Again welcome to the site and good luck!!
+1 on the wide steelies. I can see this thing being a complete sleeper. Built 406 under the hood and the current look outside would be awesome. Get some quiet mufflers and electric exhaust cutouts, and proceed to lay down the law against every Civic with a fart can in your town. They won't know what hit them. I'd leave the 4.11's in it and run a taller tire in the back, something with some meat to it. That combination will be like a rocket ship for an old truck if the engine is built and tuned correctly.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #32
JPalmer81

I found a small pic on this site of the kind of look u might be after

Name:  thumbnailCALWEO7E.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  11.4 KB

These are widened steelies with the OEM dog dish hubs, just an idea, but i think it would be sweet!!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Thank you! Someone finally noticed i dont have all that much of taste for all that sound equipment. I was surprised to see this thank you very much. I promise not one single piece of fiber glass will touch it. But i do have subs and speakers with amp and cd player on hand. The one in it doesnt work unfortunatly, and id like to have some sound. But i doubt ill use it alot with the new exhaust system ill be getting for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
chevybuilder18

This is what i was checking out 15X10 4.656 backspace. there on this truck site, with the bowtie center caps off the current rims, (which i love the look of) who could argue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
JPalmer81

I think your on the right track with this truck, cant wait to see some progress pics!!

My Build Thread:

Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #36
chevybuilder18

heres a photo of the center caps im refering to
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #37
chevybuilder18

Quote:
I think your on the right track with this truck, cant wait to see some progress pics!!
Your supportive attitudes is in my debts, and those will be paid back
Im working my tail off to get $$ and soon stuff will start happening!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #38
chevybuilder18

check out my build thread if you guys want to see my progress. its still gonna get those steelies