The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
JRBECK64

Opinions on Electric or Manual Fuel Pumps

I have been running an electric fuel pump on my Sons 64. It is one noisy son of a gun. Some times it sounds like its loosing its prime and then it really gets loud. What recommendations would you give as far as brands and type of Fuel Pump or would you go back to the Manual Pump? This is a 69 327 with a Slight Cam in it. I am running a 6 PSI pump in it now and is seems to be keeping up as long as it keeps its prime. I am still running the original fuel tank behind the seat if that makes any difference I did put a new Sending Unit and Gasket in it while I had the truck down for resto. Thanks for any advice you can give on this.
JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
murdoc

Re: Opinions on Electric or Manual Fuel Pumps

i personally love the simplicity and dependability of a manual fuel pump. they never go bad and truck along, especially if your just running a stock setup.

that said, i hate how they have a delay in getting the fuel to carb when theyve sat for 12 hrs or more. gas in carb starts it up, but then it starves out waiting for the pump to supply to the carb.

then again, there may b a quick fix to this problem, if so, i couldnt complain one bit about the manuals........
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
DWright
Shlong Bed Club

i personally prefer electric pumps. i was having a similar problem with mine until i learned that most electric pumps are better fuel pushers than pullers. after burning up 2 Carter round style pumps i moved it from the engine compartment to directly under the fuel tank under the cab (right where the steel line comes out of the tank, has about 6" of rubber line, then back to steel line) and never had a problem after that. the pump isnt particularly loud, you cant hear it with the engine running, only when KOEO. which i like cause it primes the carb after sitting awhile... just my $0.02
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Sorry, not big on electric pumps. They just don't seem to be reliable

If I did have to run one (like if I were to ever do an LSx swap), I'll have a tank under the bed, and the pump in the tank. Then again, this is just my idea in my scambled little head

Stick with a stock mechanical pump. They are cheap, reliable, and can be fixed in a few minutes if you should have a problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I am also a fan of manual fuel pumps.

You might want to consider an aftermarkey Holley manual fuel pump. I have used them on (2) different cars and they have worked flawlessly. I like them because you can position the inlet / outlet in different positions based on clearances and plumbing configurations.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-834/10002/-1
Attached Images

lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
MikeN

My 69 Chevelle with a 496 big block runs in the 11's at the drags at 114mph, with a Carter 172 mechanical fuel pump. There's no need for an electric pump on anything but a pretty radical race vehicle, in my opinion.

Carter makes the 172 for both BB and SB.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

In 5 decades of working on cars I've experienced one defective mechanical pump out of the box, with a pinhole leak in the diaphram. That's the only problem I've ever witnessed with a stock pump other than just plain wearing out from age.

In my youth I thought electric pumps were a must have because they made noise, and non-car people would think you were cool if you had one. Out of necessity I've run them on two relatively mild cars, mounted next to the tank. A 283 powered 54 Chevy driven roughly 100,000 miles and a 46 Ford sedan with a 350 that went 300,000+ in eight years. 3 different pumps failed during that time on each car. The last failure occured when my wife (then fiance) was driving. The car didn't tolerate anyone but me driving, so she quit running, leaving my fiance stranded in the hubcap lane during rush hour. After talking nice to the car and analyzing everything, it was determined absolutely nothing was wrong. So I did the next logical thing and beat the crap out of the electric pump with a 12" crescent wrench, she fired right back up and kept working until I sold the car.

I'll never have another electric pump, they belong on race cars. For street applications that must run an electric pump, it's a smart idea to include a toggle switch for manual shut off and a roll-over cut off switch in the event of a crash where you can't shut off the pump manually. http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=430704

The toggle switch doubles as an anti-theft device, and it's just not a good idea to have the pump spewing gasoline all over a car you may be trapped in, another feature you won't experience with a mechanical pump.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
In 5 decades of working on cars I've experienced one defective mechanical pump out of the box, with a pinhole leak in the diaphram. That's the only problem I've ever witnessed with a stock pump other than just plain wearing out from age.

In my youth I thought electric pumps were a must have because they made noise, and non-car people would think you were cool if you had one. Out of necessity I've run them on two relatively mild cars, mounted next to the tank. A 283 powered 54 Chevy driven roughly 100,000 miles and a 46 Ford sedan with a 350 that went 300,000+ in eight years. 3 different pumps failed during that time on each car. The last failure occured when my wife (then fiance) was driving. The car didn't tolerate anyone but me driving, so she quit running, leaving my fiance stranded in the hubcap lane during rush hour. After talking nice to the car and analyzing everything, it was determined absolutely nothing was wrong. So I did the next logical thing and beat the crap out of the electric pump with a 12" crescent wrench, she fired right back up and kept working until I sold the car.

I'll never have another electric pump, they belong on race cars. For street applications that must run an electric pump, it's a smart idea to include a toggle switch for manual shut off and a roll-over cut off switch in the event of a crash where you can't shut off the pump manually. http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=430704

The toggle switch doubles as an anti-theft device, and it's just not a good idea to have the pump spewing gasoline all over a car you may be trapped in, another feature you won't experience with a mechanical pump.
markeb01,
I put a oil pressure switch in the system to shut off the fuel pump in case of roll over or wreck. I am seriously thinking about putting a manual pump back on this truck. The main reason I went with the Electric Pump was I had two mechanicals go bad on me within a year on this truck. I got tired of messing with it so I put the Electric on it. In the last 10 years I replaced one Electric pump and thats probably because I cheaped out when I put the first Electric Pump on it. I am interested in the Holley manual pump and I think I am going to look into it. Thanks for your time.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

JRBECK64 - you have a PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
Deryl

I currently have two cars (one is a truck) with the basic Carter electric fuel pumps (sorry I don't remember the number, but is is no moreh than 6 psi). The 280Z does not have room for a manual pump and the truck is a vortec. Approximately seven years on the Z with no issues and so far about five on the truck. Both are running 600 cfm Elebrocks. So I can't complain, but all that said if I could run a mechanical fuel pump I would because a blown fuse will not keep it from doing what it is supposed to do.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
daxloves

As far as Ive seen it dont matter if you go mechanical or electric. If ya go cheap you will have problems. Just buy a GOOD one and its good for 100k miles or more.

Regardless of what way ya go its always nice to have a cheap electric in the tool box just in case ya need it to get home.

One thing I have noticed is watch where the pump is made! I got a pump for my nissan and it ran for years fine. one day it stopped. Tapped it and it started again but I figured I should replace it. Got a new one made buy the same company as my old one and it quit in less than a month. Brought it back and they gave me a new one and it too died fast. Took that one back and they gave me another one and its been running ever since.
I looked at them and noticed my old one and last one had the label on horrizontal and the 2 that died were verticle. The 2 that died were made in China, the two that still work, USA.
daxloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Rhoff2009

Like it was said earlier if you use an electric pump it must be set lower than the tank, electric pump don't develop much suction lift so its really hard to suck gas out of the tank, also these pump should really have a return line back to the tank to keep the pump from being dead headed against a shut needle and seat or regulator, this will keep the pump from overworking itself and overheating.
Rhoff2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Rafael505

What about running both elect and manual,, would u all think that would work fine and if so will the elect pump run if I added a on/off switch,, cuz I have a jegs elect pump that is loud so I figured if I would put an on/off switch just to help push the gas through,, with the switch on off will the gas flow freely with the manual pump or will it not,, hope u can understand this lol.

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Rafael505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Rich 5150 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoff2009 View Post
Like it was said earlier if you use an electric pump it must be set lower than the tank, electric pump don't develop much suction lift so its really hard to suck gas out of the tank, also these pump should really have a return line back to the tank to keep the pump from being dead headed against a shut needle and seat or regulator, this will keep the pump from overworking itself and overheating.
While most of the electric pumps have a thermal switch built into them, some will shut down until they cool off ( there is why most have problems with them ), you can run a loop in the line back in front of the pump rather than going back to the tank which will relieve the pressure. The pump needs to mounted as close to the tank as possible. 3/8 line feeding the carb with a 5/16 return line.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Opinions on Electric or Manual Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael505 View Post
What about running both elect and manual,, would u all think that would work fine and if so will the elect pump run if I added a on/off switch,, cuz I have a jegs elect pump that is loud so I figured if I would put an on/off switch just to help push the gas through,, with the switch on off will the gas flow freely with the manual pump or will it not,, hope u can understand this lol.

That's what I did Bud.
I use it on initial start up.
You can not leave it on all the time because you will burn it up.
Sorry for the big pictures.

555-15913 - JEGS Performance Products 15913 - JEGS Street/Performance/Race Electric Fuel Pumps
Electric Fuel Pump Street
95 GPH
Gasoline Only
Pre-set to approximately 6.5 psi

555-15172 - JEGS Performance Products 15172 - JEG'S Fuel Filters
Street Fuel Filter
2.45" diameter x 5.25" high

555-10564 - JEGS Performance Products 10564 - JEGS Fuel Pump Harness and Relay Kit
Single Fuel Pump Harness and Relay Kit

Fuel Pump & Regulator Install Kit.
JEGS Performance Products 100804 - JEGS Fuel Pump & Regulator Install Kit
JEGS Performance Products #555-100804
Fuel Pump & Regulator Install Kit
130 GPH Fuel Pump (555-15915)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (555-15912)
Filter, Fittings, Line, Line Clamps & Pressure Gauge
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...00804/10002/-1

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
HouldenCaulfield

Question on switching to electric. What do you do about the hole in the motor where the manual pump was? Do they make something to cover it up? The reason I ask is, my manual fuel pump was acting up, when I went to remove it, the bolt broke off. I couldn't get it out. I tried an easy out and it only made things worse. Now, I have a larger hole that I can't seem to get a good tap on. I thought about converting to electric pump to get around this issue.
HouldenCaulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: Opinions on Electric or Manual Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouldenCaulfield View Post
Question on switching to electric. What do you do about the hole in the motor where the manual pump was? Do they make something to cover it up? The reason I ask is, my manual fuel pump was acting up, when I went to remove it, the bolt broke off. I couldn't get it out. I tried an easy out and it only made things worse. Now, I have a larger hole that I can't seem to get a good tap on. I thought about converting to electric pump to get around this issue.
You can buy Mechanical Fuel Pump Cover Block Off Cover Plates.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ck-Off%20Plate

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ock-Off+Plates

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
kieth

If you go electric put the pump in the fuel tank (I had 4 inline pumps go out within a week on my 350TBI system) put the pump in the tank and have never looked back. This is of course a 14psi pump on a Throttle Body Engine ......getting ready to drop a LT1 in her now and will have to upgrade the fuel pump to match the needs of the tuned port injection system. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
MacsGTO

I'm a big mechanical pump guy as well. They are solid and reliable and not as finicky with bad or dirty gas. Same holds true with analog gauges as well. Keeps troubleshooting a lot more basic. My experience is that when you start getting into electric its more for performance gains, so unless your doing something that you would need the extra control over it's really unnecessary IMO. Now if you were running a more modern engine, say an LSx and you have the ability to control flow/pressure then it's very nice to have.
MacsGTO is offline   Reply With Quote