The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
myyamr7

Removing glass with the stainless trim?

I see small signs of rust around the windshield and the rear window, so I want to remove them and sandblast the rust away.
I've pulled a rear window myself out of my 72 I had years ago and it was pretty easy. But the window didn't have the stainless trim around it. The trim is in very good condition and I don't want to damage it or bend it in any way.
Any tips on removing this without having a glass guy come to the house?

Same thing with the windshield, but I've never pulled one out before. Is it as simple as removing the stainless trim, and it pops out just like the rear window? I'm guessing the previous owner replaced the windshield recently, there are no pits or anything in it, it looks new.

Thanks for any help

Mark
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
69CST6.0

Re: Removing glass with the stainless trim?

Remove the window with the trim still on.
69CST6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
pat 70/71

I took a razor knife (from the inside)and cut around the window at the flange area put a blanket on the hood and pushed it out. no bubbles no troubles! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyamr7 View Post
I see small signs of rust around the windshield and the rear window, so I want to remove them and sandblast the rust away.
I've pulled a rear window myself out of my 72 I had years ago and it was pretty easy. But the window didn't have the stainless trim around it. The trim is in very good condition and I don't want to damage it or bend it in any way.
Any tips on removing this without having a glass guy come to the house?

Same thing with the windshield, but I've never pulled one out before. Is it as simple as removing the stainless trim, and it pops out just like the rear window? I'm guessing the previous owner replaced the windshield recently, there are no pits or anything in it, it looks new.

Thanks for any help

Mark
If all you've got is a little rust on the trim, you can shine it easily in place with some of that metal shiner/rust remover that comes in a can, and you tear out cotton type pieces. That's what I did. Took about 10 minutes for each of my small windows

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
pancho's 67

I just took mine out last week. I just used a utility knife with a sharp blade and cut rubber away. I did mine from the outside so i could push it outwards.
pancho's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
72restorationvirgin

What Pat said. You can also get a squirt bottle with some soapy water to spray the gasket. It helps the razor blade cut easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
truckster

The rear window is tempered glass. You can start at one corner and push out from the inside while pulling the lip of the gasket over the pinchweld. Have a helper in the bed to catch the glass.

The windshield is a different matter. It's made of laminated glass, which cracks much more easily. In this case you have to decide whether to keep the glass or the rubber. The easiest way to get the glass out intact is to cut around the inside as others have said. There may be some windshield sealer between the outside of the gasket and the sheet metal, but it should be butyl sealer, which is pretty soft and should come apart easily.

If you really want to save both the windshield and the gasket, and you're willing to assume some risk of breaking the windshield, the only way to remove it is to start at the bottom and work your way up. There is no way to remove a windshield from a 67-72 starting at the top without cracking the glass. The top corners are too sharply angled for that, but you may have success by going from the bottom.

Installation is the reverse - start the windshield at the top, and work the bottom in. It's one of only two windshields I've ever done that need to be done that way. The other is the old Jeep Wagoneer.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
myyamr7

Thanks everyone for the idea's. I didn't even think to cut the gasket and just replace it, which I had planned on replacing anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post

Installation is the reverse - start the windshield at the top, and work the bottom in. It's one of only two windshields I've ever done that need to be done that way. The other is the old Jeep Wagoneer.
So the installation, I put the complete gasket and stainless trim on the windshield first and install everything together?
We'll see as the time gets closer, I may have the local glass guy come out for the installation.

Thanks
Mark
Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
So the installation, I put the complete gasket and stainless trim on the windshield first and install everything together?
We'll see as the time gets closer, I may have the local glass guy come out for the installation.

Thanks
Mark
Yes. One thing to consider. If you break the windshield,you bought it. If a glass installer breaks it,you bought it. If they break theirs,they go get another. Also,buying it from them the installation is in the price and usually hardly more than what you can buy one for. The key is to find a good glass shop. Late model windshields take far less skill than these,so do your homework and find someone who knows their stuff.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
truckster

Quote:
Right, the gasket goes on the windshield, the trim goes in the gasket, and then the windshield with gasket and trim goes in the truck. You can use some masking tape to keep the gasket on the windshield while you install it. Just lay some strips from across the gasket and stick them to the front and back of the glass.

I like to use a hollow braid 3/16 nylon rope for installation. Lay it in the channel in the gasket starting at the center bottom (note this is different from most windshields) and bring it around to cross at the top. Have a couple of buddies help you hold the glass up in the opening with the gasket as far over the pinchweld as you can get it. Now pull the lip of the gasket over the pinchweld using the rope, being careful around the top corners.

Having a glass guy help you may be a good idea, but as Special-K said, most of the guys in the business today weren't born when your truck was made, and most windshields have been glued in since the mid-70s, with urethane mandated for most installations by the 90s. Most of the current installers don't know much about gasketed installations, much less one as tricky as the 67-72 trucks.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Square_78

I agree. Find someone who knows how to do these types of windshields, and get them installed so it wont leak. New ones just glue in place with no rubber. These are totally old school style. I got some prices around my area and my local GMC dealer was actually the best deal for new windshield and rubber installed. Plus they know how to do it.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
I agree. Find someone who knows how to do these types of windshields, and get them installed so it wont leak. New ones just glue in place with no rubber. These are totally old school style. I got some prices around my area and my local GMC dealer was actually the best deal for new windshield and rubber installed. Plus they know how to do it.
Not to give away trade secrets, but unless the dealer has some old body guy who's got a lot of experience, they usually call a local glass shop and have them do the work. I used to do work for a number of dealers.

The main thing is finding someone who is familiar with these windshields and has done a number of them. It's definitely not the easiest one to learn on.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
48richard

If you are going to do it yourself, do it just like Truckster said, but use plenty of soapy water to lubricate the seal.
I installed this kind of windshield in a GM plant many years ago, and if my memory serves, two men would do one every five minutes or so, so its' not hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Sammy

I know of no way to remove them without breakage unless you cut the rubber first. usually the rubber is so hard and can't be used again anyway. Installing them like they said above is correct but would add dropping the seal in some hot water for 30 min before you start. And Dawn dish soap will be of great help with plenty of patience.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
~Whitey~

Cutting it out is how I have always done it. It's going to be alot easier installing in a warm garage or on a hot sunny day. Doing it in cold weather can be done, but it's a pain.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
myyamr7

Thanks to everyone for the tips! I'll cut it out, order a new gasket and try my luck at installing it myself.
I'm getting the sandblaster and compressor this weekend, I'll probably start my frame off restoration in a couple weeks
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
68JOHNDEERE

Precision Restoration Parts has made a youtube video on removal and reinstalling these windows
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote